Cosmetic Surgery Recovery Tips after Plastic Surgery in Australia
This page contains general Cosmetic Surgery Recovery tips and information in relation to having cosmetic plastic surgery. It is general in nature and does NOT constitute medical advice.
Be sure you follow the recommended post-operative instructions provided directly from your Surgeon and contact your Surgeon with any questions or concerns.
Cosmetic Surgery Recovery Tips and Resources for patients
1. Ask your Surgeon for their specific post-op guidelines and read the Cocoruby Post-op Recovery Guide.
- use the items provided in your RAPID RECOVERY PACK
- remember that surgery RECOVERY time frames and experiences will VARY from person to person
- RISKS or COMPLICATIONS could delay your normal surgery recovery time estimates, so be patient
2. Remain healthy, calm and patient as you heal! Don’t do too much too soon and stay well-hydrated.
- eat well and drink plenty of fluids
- stay hydrated with water
- don’t replace water intake with coffee or soft drinks – it’s not the same
- rest adequately
- but follow your surgeon’s advice on movement
- gentle movement helps prevent complications that arise from being too sedentary for long periods
- take good care of your emotional well-being after having cosmetic surgery
- remind yourself WHY you wanted surgery performed
- recognise you may have fluctuating emotions at first
- never smoke before or after surgery
- avoid consuming intoxicating substances
- follow good nutritional advice and post-op exercise time frames (exercising heavily too soon can harm you or increase your scar formation)
- Eat well, rest well and adopt healthy habits as you recover from cosmetic or plastic surgery.
3. Surgery Recovery Tips – Download and read the Guide e-Book
Review the Surgery Procedure Guide book and other materials from your Surgeon before and after you have surgery.
- Browse blogs and tips from some of Australia’s top-rated Surgeons in Melbourne VIC (Australia)
- Read downloadable PDF e-Books on Cosmetic Surgery.
- Speak with a Dermal Clinician about scar management protocols
Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Recovery FAQs
How many nights should I spend in the hospital?
Your stay in hospital depends on how quickly you can recover which varies from patient to patient.
- For breast augmentation patients, we recommend an overnight stay in hospital
- For breast reduction patients we advise a 1 to 2-night stay
- For tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) patients we advise a 2 to 3 nights
At the time of your consultation, your surgeon will discuss the length of your hospital stay and explain why a longer stay may be required for certain procedures or patients.
How much time will I need to be off work after surgery?
Each patient is different so your time off work will vary due to your speed of recovery, your level of bruising and pain and also on the type of work that you do.
Smokers and obese patients generally take longer to recover and have a poorer final result.
- For breast augmentation patients we recommend 1-2 weeks off work
- For breast reduction, we suggest 1-2 weeks off work
- For abdominoplasty or major body surgery around 3-4 weeks off work. (longer if your tummy muscles have split due to pregnancy or obesity)
- For nose and facial surgeries, depending on your swelling and bruising, your “social downtime” can be around 2-3 weeks
Your time off work really depends on the activity level in the type of work you do – for breast surgeries this can be 2 weeks for an office/desk job, 3 weeks for an ‘on your feet’ shop job or 4+ weeks for an active job.
It is often up to you to decide when you are ready to return to work.
Some General Guidelines for Estimating your Time off work
- We advise that you do NOT drive or operate heavy equipment for a minimum of one week after having surgery with a general Anaesthetic; ask your Surgeon for specifics in relation to your procedure.
- There is always a small risk of having a surgical complication and your return to work being delayed.
- We can provide a confidential Medical Certificate for time off work.
When can I start exercising after my procedure?
This varies from patient to patient and surgery to surgery. Don’t try to do too much too soon.
We encourage leisurely walking and light duties following your procedure. At the time of your consultation, we will discuss the type of exercise that you would like to do and how soon you can return to the activity.
For fitness enthusiasts, this may mean 10-12 weeks before heavy gym exercise like weights, bouncing or running, sometimes longer.
Download the Guide to Recovery after Plastic Surgery!
If you are trying to find out what to expect from Plastic Surgery recovery? Read this helpful guide today.
More information and Blogs on recovery tips for different Plastic Surgery Procedures:
- Common Feelings and Emotions After Surgery
- Can I speed up my recovery after cosmetic surgery? Plastic Surgery Tips and Recovery Guidelines.
- Recovery after Breast Reduction Surgery (‘What’s normal recovery?’)
- Recovery after Breast Augmentation Surgery with Breast Implants
- Recovery after Abdominoplasty Surgery (Tummy Tuck Recovery)
- Recovery after Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty Recovery)
Surgery Guidelines for Cosmetic Surgery recovery include helpful tips compiled from the experiences of our care team, which supports leading Australia FRACS (Plas) Cosmetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons and eyelid surgery experts (shown below).
Unanswered Questions or want to know how to search for Plastic Surgeon or Cosmetic Surgeon Reviews (Melbourne, Australia, VIC)?
- Check out a bigger list of FAQs and information on the surgical process
- Attend a Monthly Patient Information Evening Event
- For more information about Pricing and Payment methods of your Surgery, please visit our page on Surgery Payments.
- You can also talk to a Patient Care Team to answer your questions from 8 am-6 pm Monday to Friday on 1300 264 811