A formal consultation with Dr Stephen Kleid is an essential step before any Nose surgery procedure. Your nose consultation also includes a comprehensive nasal examination and is only available in person at the clinic. This is not something that can really be done in an online consultation, it needs to be done face to face where Dr Kleid examines your nose and throat to check your septum, see your internal nasal anatomy and check for any blockages.
At the consultation, Dr Kleid and his patient advisor will review your medical history including; past health, medications, and operations. He will then get a clear understanding of what you are hoping to achieve and your expectations from surgery. Dr Kleid will also undertake a detailed physical examination to assess your clinical situation and suitability for surgery.
Dr Kleid will accurately explain your options for surgery and the process involved. You will be taken through a detailed explanation of the potential outcomes as well as possible complications and risks of surgery. While this is not meant to scare or alarm you, it is essential and part of Dr Kleid’s duty of care to you.
Nasal Examination with a Nasal Endoscope
- During the examination, Dr Kleid will look at the outside of your nose as well as see what is going on inside your nose.
- To look up your nose he will use an overhead light and glasses so he can look deep inside your nose.
- The glasses have a light and attachment on them so he can look further into your nose than if he just held a torch in his hand.
- At this point, he will spray your nose with a local anaesthetic spray, which also has a decongestant. It helps unblock the nose and reduce any swelling so there is more space to look inside and the local anaesthetic will make it numb.
- The spray make your nose and back of the throat feel a bit numb which may be slightly uncomfortable for about 15-20 minutes.
- Dr Kleid will wait for this to take effect then he will examine you with an endoscope, a little telescope that goes through your nose.
About the Nasal Endoscope
The Nasal Endoscope is 3.5 mm in diameter. It is plastic and flexible. Dr Kleid will either look through a lens or have it connected up to a camera so you can both see inside your nose on a monitor or TV screen.
Dr Kleid will look through the scope and into the nose. He will look;
- Down the back of the throat
- At your vocal cords
- For polyps
- Signs of a Deviated septum
- For snorers, he may also check the back of your throat to see if there is any pus or discharge.
The nasal examination doesn’t typically hurt although it can be uncomfortable.
What can I expect from my Initial Nose Consultation with Dr Kleid?
At your initial appointment with Dr Kleid you will typically:
- Have your photos taken
- Have a physical examination by Dr Kleid
- Review photos of past patient results
- Find out more about your recommended surgical options
- Receive detailed information about your surgery
- Go through the possible complications and risks of surgery
- Find out about surgery pricing and available dates
- Ask any other questions you may have
Allow up to one hour for your initial appointment and please make sure you arrive early. It is very important to establish a strong relationship with your surgeon prior to any surgery. You will spend time with both your Surgeon and Patient Care Coordinator/Nurse at your first consultation appointment.
After Your Consultation
Your consultation with Dr Kleid, will give you a good understanding of the procedure, it’s potential outcomes along with possible risks. This will enable you to make an informed decision as to whether you would like to proceed with the surgery.
A detailed estimate of costs will be prepared for you following your consultation and can usually be given to you on the day. This will cover the surgeon’s fee and estimates for the hospital/theatre, Anaesthetist and any other costs.
For more information about Prices & Payment Methods – visit Surgery Payments and Payment Methods
Who Else Should I Bring to the Consultation?
- We strongly recommended you bring a supportive friend or relative along to your appointment to help you think about all the information and discuss your surgical options. If possible, leave your children with a friend or family member.
- Please bring along any relevant X-rays or test results if you have them.
- If you have had previous nose surgery, bring any relevant information.
Choosing A Nose Surgeon in Melbourne
When choosing the right surgeon for Nose Surgery, you should always keep in mind that the experience, training, and credentials have greater importance than the cost of surgery.
Dr Stephen Kleid is a highly experienced, fully qualified specialist ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) Surgeon (Otolaryngologist) with current FRACS (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons) membership. He is dedicated to patient care and education for revision nose reshaping surgery for each and every patient to best meet their needs and desired surgical outcomes.
Dr Stephen Kleid – Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon
MBBS – Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Medicine
FRACS – Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Dr Stephen Kleid is an experienced Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon (Otolaryngologist) based in Melbourne with a passion for Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty and a strong interest in Rhinoplasty Revision.
If you want to find out more about a procedure book a consultation.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or call on 1300 599 990 to arrange your consultation with your surgeon
- A Referral from your General Practitioner (GP) or from your Medical Specialist is required (as of 1st July 2023).
- A Nose Consultation & Nasal Examination with Dr Stephen Kleid is $600 (and may be eligible for a $180 Medicare rebate)