Nose Surgery Consultation with Dr Stephen Kleid, ENT Surgeon in Melbourne Victoria
A Nose Consultation with Dr Stephen Kleid is very different from the first consultation with our Coco Ruby Plastic Surgeons. Dr Kleid commonly sees patients for a cosmetic and functional Rhinoplasty, blocked nose, breathing or sinus problems or sleep apnea & snoring surgery. Dr Kleid and his Patient Advisor will take a full medical history and discuss your problems and concerns in detail. He will then do a full nasal examination,
What Happens at Your First Nose Consultation with Dr Stephen Kleid– Leading ENT Surgeon
A formal first nose consultation with Dr Stephen Kleid is an essential step before any surgical procedure can be organised. Your nose consultation also includes a comprehensive nasal examination and is only available in-person at the clinic. This is not something that can really be done in an Online Consultation. it really does need to be done face-to-face where Dr Kleid looks inside your nose and throat to check your septum, see your internal nasal anatomy and check for any blockages.
During Your First Nose Consultation
At the consultation, Dr Kleid and his patient advisor will review a thorough history of your medical health and background, including past health, medications, and operations. He will then get a clear understanding of what you are hoping to achieve and your expectations from surgery. Dr Kleid will also undertake a detailed physical examination to assess your clinical situation and suitability for surgery.
Dr Kleid will accurately explain your options for surgery and the process involved. You will be taken through a detailed explanation of the benefits as well as possible complications and risks of surgery. While this is not meant to scare or alarm you, it is essential and part of Dr Kleid’s duty of care to you. Be very careful of any medical practitioner who has not outlined similar risks and complications of their surgery.
Nasal Examination with Naso-endoscope
- Next is the examination, Dr Kleid will want to look at the outside of your nose as well as see what’s going on inside your nose.
- To look up your nose he will use an overhead light and glasses so he can look deep inside your nose.
- The glasses have a light and attachment on it so he can look further into your nose than if he just held a torch in his hand.
- At this point your nose will be sprayed with a local anaesthetic spray, which also has a decongestant. It helps unblock the nose and reduce any swelling so there is more space to look inside and the local anaesthetic will make it numb.
- The spray is flavoured and it will make your nose and back of the throat feel a bit numb which is a slightly uncomfortable for about 15-20 minutes.
- Dr Kleid will wait for this to take effect then he will examine you with an endoscope, a little telescope that goes through your nose.
About the Nasoendoscope
The naso-endoscope is three and a half millimetres in diameter. It’s plastic and it’s very flexible. Dr Kleid will either look through a lens or have it connected up to a camera so you can both see inside your nose on a monitor or TV screen.
The Nasal Examination – What to expect
Dr Kleid will look through the scope and into the nose. He will look down the back of the throat. He can also look at your vocal cords. For snorers, he can look at the condition of the back of your throat and see if you have any pus on it. He will look to see if you have any polyps and to see if you have a deviated septum affecting your breathing.
The nasal examination doesn’t actually hurt. Some patients get a bit anxious about it, but most patients say ‘It wasn’t really wasn’t such a big deal after all’. In fact, it’s so minor are many doctors don’t even put numbing stuff in the nose. Dr Kleid uses the numbing spray on everybody because he just finds he would much rather patients say they felt nothing.
Nose Examination & Consultation for Rhinoplasty & 3D Imaging
If it’s a rhinoplasty consultation, then Dr Kleid will look at the outside of the nose too. You can also have 3D Vectra imaging to discuss your desired nose shape in more detail.
Dr Kleid will talk to you about what it is that you don’t like about your nose.
- Is it too big? Too small?
- Does have a bump?
- Is the tip too long
- Is the tip too thick?
- Are the nostrils too wide?
He will discuss what needs to be done to improve the nasal shape, nasal function and sinus function. If it’s a snoring problem see where the fluttery bits are to see what needs to be done to improve the snoring.
What can I expect from my Initial Nose Consultation with Dr Kleid?
At your initial appointment with your surgeon you will typically:
- Spend quality time with Dr Kleid and his patient liaison team
- Have your photos taken
- Have a physical examination by Dr Kleid
- Review photos of past patient results
- Find out more about your recommended surgical options
- Receive detailed information about your surgery
- Go through the possible complications and risks of surgery
- Vectra 3D Virtual imaging may be helpful to imagine your surgery results and can also be organised
- Find out about surgery pricing and available dates
- Ask any other questions you may have
Please allow up to 1 hour for your initial appointment and please make sure you arrive early. It is very important to establish a strong relationship with your surgeon prior to any surgery. You will spend time with both your surgeon and patient care coordinator/nurse at your first consultation appointment.
After Your Consultation
- Following your consultation with Dr Kleid, you will feel that you have a good understanding of the procedure and its likely benefits and potential outcomes along with its possible risks.
- This will enable you to make an informed decision as to whether you would like to proceed with the surgery.
- You’ll get a detailed Surgical Quote with Procedure Costs
- A detailed estimate of costs will be prepared for you following consultation and can usually be given to you on the day.
- This will cover the surgeons’ fee and estimates for the hospital/theatre and any other costs.
- For more information about Prices & Payment Methods – visit the prices and payment webpage
Do I need to bring a GP Referral? – YES!
- In order to make a claim on Medicare for your consultation please bring a valid medical referral A referral from a GP will last 12 months or a referral from a specialist is valid for 3 months. You will need a valid medicare referral at the time of surgery if your nose surgery is to be covered by Medicare and Private Health Insurance.
Who Else Should I Bring to the Consultation?
- We strongly recommended you bring a supportive friend or relative along to your appointment to help you think about all the information and discuss your surgical options. If possible, leave the kids with a friend or family member.
- Please bring along with any relevant X-rays or test results if you have them.
- If you have had previous nose surgery, bring any relevant information.
- If you want a different looking nose, please bring some pictures.
Your Nose Consultation Fee with Dr Stephen Kleid ENT Surgeon
- A comprehensive nose consultation with Dr Kleid costs $600 and is eligible for a medicare rebate of $185 making the out of pocket cost $415. It typically takes about 1 to 1.5 hours.
- The consultation fee is typically paid at the time of booking the appointment, by credit card.
Choosing the best Nose Surgeon in Melbourne or Sydney
When choosing the right surgeon for Nose Surgery, you should always keep in mind that the experience, training, and credentials have greater importance than the price tag. Special deals, fixed prices, and big discounts should raise a red flag. Usually, those kinds of procedures lead to another disappointing result and in the end line cost more and produce more stress, pain, take more time, and discomfort than one procedure conducted by a professional and experienced surgeon.
Dr Stephen Kleid is an experienced Ear, Nose and Throat ENT Surgeon (Otolaryngologist). Dr Stephen Kleid consults in three Melbourne practice locations here at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery in Hawthorn East, St Kilda East and East Melbourne. Dr Kleid has a passion for rhinoplasty and Rhinoplasty Revision.
Always Choose a qualified, experienced Nose Surgery Expert
Be sure to find out if your surgeon is FRACS qualified and has proven and relevant surgical experience.
Don’t choose someone who studied a different area of medicine as they are unlikely to have the same rigorous surgical training required to become recognized as a Specialist in Plastic, Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery.
Proven experience and examples from real patients or recommendations from your friends, family, or GP are available.