Should you travel interstate or overseas to have surgery?
We often get requests from patients who live overseas or interstate, who want their Surgery performed by one of our team’s Plastic Surgeons in Melbourne, Australia. Patients may come from as far away as; Perth, Darwin, the Gold Coast or a bit closer from Tasmania, Sydney, Adelaide and regional Victoria.
We can sometimes help interstate or overseas patients who wish to see one of our Surgeons in Melbourne as long as we believe we can genuinely assist them.
The criteria for these patients is that they are;
- Good candidates for their procedures
- Well-informed about the risks of using a Plastic Surgeon in another State
- Willing to travel including for preparatory consultations and all required post-operative follow-ups and annual reviews
- Well supported in Melbourne for their recovery period, i.e. people to help, a good recovery place in which to rest, supportive social and medical networks.
- Not seeking cosmetic surgery revisions or corrective plastic surgery operations after having had surgery elsewhere that has not been successful.
- Not seeking surgery for a perceived flaw from a well-performed surgery where results are satisfactory and results were limited by existing anatomy or pre-surgery conditions
If you are keen to see one of our Surgeons but need to travel to do so:
- Be sure you can stay in your Surgeon’s operating location long enough to get through your initial post-surgery recovery and surgery review period.
- Also be sure you understand you will need regular follow-up appointments on at least an annual basis (indefinitely). You’ll also need a follow up review at 3, 6 and 8 to 12 months after your original surgery date.
Corrective Surgery – Cosmetic Revisions after Overseas Operations
We also get daily requests from patients who want Revision Surgery after;
- Travelling overseas for a low-cost surgery
- Choosing either a cosmetic surgeon or GP (General Practitioner) instead of a FRACS (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons) Plastic Surgeon
- Choosing to have surgery with an untrained junior surgeon that did not have the skill or training to perform surgery correctly.
We typically cannot assist these patients. This is because much of what occurs in an unsatisfactory procedure may be permanent in nature or it may be too costly for the patient to consider having a revision procedure.
Be sure you watch the ABC Four Corners investigation into unsatisfactory surgery by non-Plastic Surgeons in Sydney. Take heed of their warnings about investigating your Surgeon’s actual training and qualifications (Four Corners VIDEO link).
- Remember a cosmetic surgeon is not the same as a Plastic Surgeon who has FRACS (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeon) and membership in high-level industry monitoring bodies and continuing education providers for Specialist Plastic Surgeons, such as ASAPS (Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons),, ASPS (Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons), ISAPS (International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons).
- For advice on choosing a Surgeon , click here.
- Choosing a fully qualified Surgeon the first time will mean you will have a much better chance of a successful outcome.
The role of a designated Personal Support Team after your Plastic Surgery if you have Surgery in Melbourne and live elsewhere.
- Having help from a family member or other friend or loved one (or even a hired assistant) can help you manage your recovery after your surgery.
- Do you have a trusted and supportive partner, close friend or family member that will assist you in Melbourne if you live elsewhere?
- Is there someone who can also assist you when you are back at home?
- Do you have a great local General Practitioner (GP) that you trust to manage any healing issues or complications that might occur after you return home?
- Contact us and we will help you consider visiting our Plastic Surgeons in Melbourne. We will also advise you what to take into account if you’re considering this option.
- Phone 1300 599 990 or send an enquiry form.
It is absolutely critical to ensure that you are available to return for your post-operative appointments at your Surgeon’s main clinic and be available to stay around after your surgery, particularly in the event of any adverse situation or complication.
Follow-Up Care and Post-op Reviews in Melbourne
Be sure you feel comfortable with the increased risks or travel factors involved with having surgery away from home. You will not be permitted to fly for at least a few weeks after surgery. Ask your Surgeon for recommendations and be sure you follow them. Flying too soon after surgery can increase your risks.
Our general plan for your post-operative recovery usually involves:
- Hospital Stay
- A comfortable and relaxing stay in a quality Hospital to recuperate
- Discharge to a new supported facility
- Discharge to a supporter’s home in Melbourne or
- To a Medi-Hotel with Nurse support
- Post Op in about 1-10 days
- Your post-op visit to the practice is determined by your Surgeon
- Typically it occurs approximately 1 week to 10 days after Surgery
- At this first in-clinic follow up, we check surgical results, change the dressings and give you additional post-op instructions
- 8 Week Review
- Your 8 Week Review is held at the clinic
- 6 Month and 12 Month reviews
- You will need to attend your 6 Month Review and your 12-month review and annual reviews thereafter.
- Some but not all reviews may be able to be facilitated online depending on your Surgery and if you can have a review with your General Practitioner (GP).
- Annual Reviews (as required)
Accommodation Considerations after Plastic Surgery
We may be able to provide a list of nearby hotels for you, your partner or supporting friend to stay during recovery.
We can also arrange for our nurse to visit you in your hotel to check on your recovery after leaving the hospital.
- For patients at Masada Hospital, Balaclava – we recommend Quest Balaclava. 441 Inkerman St, St Kilda East – Phone (03) 9526 3888
- For patients at our Kew and Hawthorn Hospitals – we recommend Best Western Premier Hotel 115 Kew. 115 Cotham Rd, Kew – Phone (03) 8862 0200
Staying with your Melbourne-based family, friends or colleagues might also be an option for you as you prepare for and recover from your Plastic Surgery procedure.
Visit our Downloadable Guides pages
For more information about Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery options and research in Australia.