First Consultation with a Coco Ruby Plastic Surgeon – What to Expect
This page covers what to expect at your first visit and consultation with a specialist plastic surgeon.
Your first visit – what to expect
What can I expect at my Initial Consultation with my Specialist Plastic Surgeon?
At your initial appointment with your surgeon you will typically:
- Spend time with your surgeon and nurse/patient coordinator
- Have your photos taken
- Have a physical examination by the surgeon
- See photos of past patient results
- Find out more about your recommended surgical options
- Receive detailed information about your surgery
- Go through the possible complications and risks of surgery
- Begin Vectra 3D imaging, modelling and sizing options (for some procedures)
- Find out about surgery pricing and available dates
- Ask any other questions you may have
Please allow up to 1.5 hours for your initial appointment
Our surgeons believe it’s very important to establish a strong relationship with you prior to any surgery. You will spend time with both your surgeon and patient care coordinator/nurse at your first consultation appointment.
We strongly recommended you bring a supportive friend or relative along to your consultation to help you think about all the information and discuss your surgical options.
TIP: If you progress with surgery, a second consultation is usually needed for customisation and planning purposes, as well as to review the surgery details, schedules, risks and consent forms and photographs. That second consultation is included in your surgery package price (but there may be a limit on time if you have surgery far in advance of your first consultation).
Surgeon Consultation FAQs
How much time should I allow? What if my Surgeon is running late?
- It’s best to allow extra time for your appointment as medical settings may have some unpredictability about timing.
- Allow 120 minutes (ideally) or at least 90 minutes of time.
- We apologise in advance if our Surgeon is running slightly behind schedule on the day you attend.
- They usually run on time, but occasionally – working in health care – there may be a lag or a slight delay. We have a beautiful, relaxing reception area and FREE coffee and chocolates, so simply allow an extra bit of time just in case.
- Remember, however, that parking on the street is 2-hour parking (FREE) before you’ll want to move your car.
- Parking on-site in our parking lot is unlimited so long as you’re attending our Clinic at the time.
Do I need a GP (or specialist) Referral to make an appointment?
- You are advised to bring a referral but you do NOT need to have a medical referral to book a consultation with one of our surgeons,
- We do recommend having a referral as it can allow you to claim a small rebate (around $70) on the cost of your first consultation back from Medicare.
- If your surgery if covered by Medicare or private Health insurance, you will need a valid Medicare referral at the time surgery.
- Please note that a GP referral has a validity of 12 months before expiring and a specialist referral only has a 3-month validity.
Do you use Vectra 3D imaging for sizing?
- Yes, we can use Canfield Vectra 3D or Crisolix imaging during consultations to show you a range of possible outcomes after your procedure.
- In addition, for breast implant surgery patients, we show you different breast implants and you can try on a range of sizes to get a feel for your results.
- We also use the Canfield Facial Camera and imaging system to demonstrate facial surgery results.
How soon can I get a Surgeon Consultation?
What is the waiting time for a consult with a Plastic Surgeon in Melbourne?
- Our specialist plastic surgeons are always busy and it helps to plan ahead and to try not to change an existing appointment time.
- However, with clever management of their consultation diaries and theatre dates, we can typically arrange your consultation within 5 to 10 working days up to 2 to 3 weeks.
- Occasionally schedules will be more difficult and have longer waiting periods, such as when our Surgeons present at international conferences such as ASAPS/ISAPS or the Breast Masters in Sydney. Read more about our 20 point differences from other groups – WHY US.
How do I schedule a Surgeon Consultation or Surgery?
- Last-minute consultations are often available as some patients may need to reschedule at short notice.
- Sometimes surgery can also be arranged in a short period of time after the mandatory waiting period.
- It’s usually best to plan for your surgery so you can arrange time off from your normal activities so you can rest, recover and heal properly.
How Much Does a Surgeon Consultation Cost?
- Your initial Consultation Booking Fee with a Specialist Surgeon is usually $300 ($600 for a Nose Consultation with ENT Nasal examination)
- Your booking fee is paid ahead of your appointment and will secure your consultation date.
- You can pay by phone by calling us to affirm payment or book an appointment time.
- We have online payment methods if necessary.
Where can I have a consultation for Plastic Surgery or Cosmetic Procedures?
Our main clinic is in Hawthorn, Melbourne or there are other Australian locations available
- Please specify you are seeking either the Hawthorn or Berwick for Victoria or Double Bay if in Sydney.
- Each of our Surgeons consults in a specific location, sometimes two locations.
- If you choose a particular surgeon you will need to attend that Surgeon’s specific clinic for a consultation.
Initial consultations may also be available after-hours and on Saturday mornings – please ask our Patient Care Coordinator.
Breast Surgery Consultation Checklist
10 Things you should do BEFORE you meet with your Plastic Surgeon to discuss breast surgery.
- Make a list of the things you dislike about your breasts.
- Get clear about how those dislikes impact on your emotions, confidence levels or lifestyle.
- List a quick summary of the words/terms and techniques about breast surgery you DO know about (read the guide) and make a list of which ones you want more information on.
- Review our blogs about measurements and proportions and skin resiliency, and how they impact your results from surgery.
- Look at Before and After photos but pay careful attention to just how similar you actually ARE – or ARE NOT – to the BEFORE photo. Pay particular attention to issues such as nipple distance, breast base width, skin folding or under-breast crease, upper pole curves (the upper half of your breast), whether or not your breasts are tuberous and more.
- Read about the necessity of potential future implant surgery and what to expect during surgery planning, markups, recovery and healing and scars.
- Look into the future – is pregnancy in your future? Consider what pregnancy will do to your body and breasts; if it’s nearby, wait until a few months after having your child or 3 months after weaning before you see a breast surgeon.
- Check-in with yourself and assess if you are okay with the potential risks and need for future surgery, which has a price and costs.
- Understand that while breast surgery may NOT interfere with breastfeeding for some women, and some women can’t even breastfeed if they never had implants or other breast surgery, that any surgery of the breasts may impact your breastfeeding – while many women who have implants in place DO successfully breastfeed, there’s no guarantee.
- Check to be sure you’re realistic when you look at before and after photos – these looks MAY or MAY NOT be achievable for you and many of those magazine or social media photographs may have been airbrushed (our patient images are REAL and not changed other than resizing, so the before and after photos match in terms of size).
Why choose a Coco Ruby Surgeon?
Changing Confidence, Changing Lives. Our surgeons are on a mission to help people improve their lives and to make a real difference for individuals, communities and the medical profession.
Our Practice makes a positive difference in people’s lives:
- building confidence
- enhancing self-esteem
- reducing pain and discomfort
We help our patients – both younger and mature patients – with transformative changes or restorative changes that really make a difference in your life. Feeling great about yourself and your appearance may help you get a better partner, career or lifestyle.