How much does Abdominoplasty Surgery cost in Melbourne?
Tummy Tuck surgery is one of the top five most popular cosmetic surgery procedures in the world, however, finding a specific price range or figure for this surgery can be difficult. This is because the cost of an Abdominoplasty can vary according to a number of factors. The surgical approach/technique, your chosen surgeon and the hospital where your surgery is performed may all impact on price.
This blog will explore the differences in surgery price ranges, and help you to understand the full costs of a Tummy Tuck in Australia.
Why do prices vary?
The cost of Tummy Tuck surgery will often vary depending on 6 important factors:
The cost of Abdominoplasty depends not just on your Surgeon’s qualifications, but also on what you need to be corrected in terms of excess skin, skin fold reduction, abdominal muscle repair, hernia repair and liposuction shaping.
1. WHO is performing your surgery?
Before deciding on a Surgeon, you should consider their:
- level of expertise (are they a highly regarded expert?)
- professional accreditations and training qualifications
- technical abilities
- surgical experience and skills (how many procedures have they performed?)
2. WHAT is included in your surgery quote/price estimate?
Not every surgery quote may include all of the necessary aspects of your Tummy Tuck surgery, such as anaesthetic costs, facility fees, post-operative care, surgery garments, medication, recovery aids and more. Therefore, be sure to review your price estimate, otherwise, you may be hit with unexpected expenses.
It may also be helpful to ask:
- What type of anaesthetic or local pain management is going to be used to help reduce discomfort?
Where will my scar be located and how will it be treated? Is scar minimisation/management included in the cost of surgery?
3. WHEN will your surgery be performed?
- If you are planning surgery several months or more in advance, be aware that prices and medicare rebate criteria may change.
- As a result, we recommend speaking to a member of our Patient Care Team about rapidly-changing hospital fees and criteria for medically-indicated breast surgery.
4. WHERE will your surgery be performed?
- Will you be under General Anaesthetic in a hospital or under Local Anaesthetic in a clinic back room?
- Using local anaesthetic and sedatives in a day clinic may lessen the cost of your surgery but lead to increased discomfort or higher risks
- Do you want to be ‘awake’ during your tummy tuck – or comfortably under general anaesthesia with an overnight hospital stay for pain management?
5. WHY are you having the procedure?
Is your Tummy Tuck procedure for purely cosmetic reasons or do you require a medically-indicated surgery?
Corrective Abdominoplasty surgery may involve a higher cost than a standard Tummy Tuck due to the complexity of the procedure.
6: HOW will your procedure be planned and performed?
How long is your procedure going to take? Is it fully customised and expertly planned?
Tummy Tuck surgery usually takes approx. 2-4 hours depending on the complexity of the procedure. However, there are many variations of Abdominoplasty surgery and the amount of theatre time required will often vary.
More complex Abdominal procedures often require a greater level of pre-surgery planning, surgical skill and theatre time, therefore resulting in a higher cost.
Average prices for Abdominoplasty Surgery
Surgery prices: low-cost, mid-range or premier price range.
The cost of Tummy Tuck surgery can vary significantly; from around $10,500 to $14,000 for a low-cost procedure with a less experienced Surgeon, to approx. $14,000 to $18,000 with an experienced FRACS Plastic Surgeon, and up to $18,000 or higher for more complex procedures involving a renowned Plastic Surgeon specialising in Abdominal procedures.
Below is an estimate of the range of Tummy Tuck surgery prices in Melbourne, however, figures are not exact. All patients require a consultation to get a detailed and accurate assessment of requirements and surgery option.
Low-Cost: prices typically range from just $10,500 to $14,000
Low-cost surgery is typically performed by a general surgeon or GP without RACS recognition in a clinic backroom using ‘awake’ or “twilight’ anaesthetic.
Surgery in this price range will not be carried out by an accredited Plastic Surgeon in a Hospital, and General Anaesthetic typically is not used. As a result, the procedure may not be fully customised to address your concerns and your ‘Surgeon’ may not have hospital admitting rights should something not go to plan.
Also, patients may experience unexpected out-of-pocket costs, limited post-operative care and no recovery aids or surgical scar management.
If you’re considering backroom surgery options to reduce Abdominoplasty costs, we recommend you view the ABC FOUR CORNERS special report on back-room operations.
Mid-Range: prices typically range from $14,000 to $18,000
Generally, Tummy Tuck surgery by an experienced, FRACS recognised Plastic Surgeon can range from $15,000 to $19,000 or even higher.
However, surgery costs can vary depending on what you need, your Surgeon’s qualifications other factors such as:
- underlying muscle damage or hernias in the abdominal region
- patient follow-up care standards and post-surgery recovery aids
- garments required after surgery for good results
Premium: prices typically range from $18,000 and higher
Advanced and fully customised Abdominoplasty Surgery that is planned and performed by a highly-experienced, FRACS Plastic Surgeon can cost anywhere between $20,000 to $30,000 or more, depending on who you choose and their facility/staffing costs.
As above, this also varies depending on your Surgeon’s surgery fees, as well as the complexity of your operation and follow-up care
Read about our top Melbourne Tummy Tuck Surgeons and ask us about others nearby who also have FRACS recognition and excellent and trusted patient reviews.
Choosing a qualified Abdominoplasty Surgeon
- Remember, all cosmetic surgery is invasive and has risks.
- Surgery should also be custom-planned and performed by an expert to reduce risks and revision rates.
- Never accept a one-size-fits-all approach. A fully customised procedure is essential for a long-lasting, successful result.
Be sure to choose a Surgeon who:
- Has FRACS recognition.
- Fully customises every surgery procedure to meet your specific skin condition, surgical preferences and desired result.
- Communications openly about what surgery can and cannot achieve.
- Provides you with all information about potential surgery risks and surgery recovery times.
- Listens and respects your views.
- Gives expert care and science-based advice.
Download Our Tummy Tuck Guide