Need more information? Download the Ulitmate Guide to Face and Neck Lift Surgery
No matter what you do, and how hard you try to avoid it you can not stop your skin from ageing. However, a daily skin routine and maintaining your health can temporarily halt those wrinkles and skin folds, even if it’s only for a few extra years. Unfortunately, gravity and time will eventually catch up. Ageing is unavoidable and your neck is one area that this affects more than most. Your skin becomes loose, it stretches and sags, blurring not only your chin, but your jawline, and neckline as well. These signs of ageing can not only leave you looking older than you want to but also older than you feel. You may label your neck with things like; turkey neck, double chin, neckbands and skin folds, just to name a few.
Fortunately, neck lifts (platysmaplasty) are an all-in-one solution to rejuvenate your neck and remove the signs of ageing. It redefines your jawline, emphasizes your chin, and tightens your neck skin. While you can undergo a neck lift as a solo procedure you can combine a neck lift with several other procedures or skin resurfacing to help rejuvenate your whole face, which can take years off your appearance.
Our surgeons have performed thousands of face and neck lifts in Australia over the years. Allowing them to develop their skills as well as, unique techniques to ensure stunning and long-lasting results.
Below you can discover; everything you need to know about neck lifts, types, recovery, costs, and more.
What is a neck lift procedure?
A neck lift is a cosmetic surgical procedure that aims to both tighten and rejuvenate the skin of your neck. Other names for a neck lift include;
- Lower rhytidectomy
- Submental lipectomy
The neck is mainly made of skin and fat covering a large flat muscle called the platysma. As we age, our skin loses elasticity and becomes droopy. Furthermore, the platysma becomes lax and shows bands or cords under your neck’s skin. As mentioned above, a neck lift can be combined with other contouring procedures, including; liposuction, fat injections, botox injections, and skin resurfacing to achieve a tighter, firmer neck.
Am I a good candidate for Neck Lift Surgery or a combination Neck and Face Lift Surgery?
In order to get the most out of your neck lift surgery and to avoid complications, you should meet certain criteria. You could be a good candidate for a neck lift procedure if you;
- Are in a generally good health
- Have any chronic conditions (like hypertension) under control
- Don’t smoke (or you’re willing to quit 4-6 weeks before neck lift)
- Want to reap the cosmetic benefits of a neck lift
Signs you could benefit from a neck lift
If you think you need a neck lift, chances are, you are probably right. Short of wearing scarfs and turtleneck sweaters, all year round there is not much you can do to hide sagging neck skin, platysma bands, and neck wrinkles. An ageing neck is something that affects a lot of people both male and female and is one of the reasons the procedure is so popular. If you suffer from any of the following it may be time to book a consult and talk to one of our surgeons about your options.
- prominent neck bands
- A “turkey neck”
- The appearance of a double chin, is not due to weight gain
- A “chook’ neck”, refers to the wobbly skin hanging down beneath the chin and jawline.
- Neck wrinkles or deep neck skin folds
- A bulging or heavy-looking neckline
Ask yourself, has your ageing neck caused you to;
- Dislike looking at photos of yourself, especially from the side?
- Feel a reduction in self-confidence when you’re having photos taken or meeting someone for the first time?
- Look older than you are or want to appear?
- Experience clothing tightness around your neckline?
- Need to wear large open-neck shirts to accommodate neck girth?
- Feel less attractive?
What are the benefits of a neck lift?
There are many advantages of a neck lift, facelift, and other facial rejuvenation procedures. They can;
- Make you look younger
- Improve your self-confidence
- Boost your positive self-image
- Make your face more photogenic
- Improve how your profile (side) look
- Remove neck wrinkles and skin folds
- Get rid of;
- Saggy neck skin
- Double chin
- Neck fat
- Neck cords and rings
- Fix your “turkey neck” appearance
- And more.
Consultations are the first step to having your neckline, jawline and/or facial skin improved through advanced facial rejuvenation techniques including a neck lift or double-chin fat reduction treatment.
Download Our Facial Rejuvenation Guide
Neck Lift Surgery – Procedure, recovery, results and more
Sometimes extra surgery methods that address the edge of the platysma and/or skin at the back of the neck is needed, as well as the front of the neck, to get a better effect.
First, a certified anaesthetist will give you some inhaled and intravenous drugs to help you relax and put you to sleep so that you won’t feel a thing (general anaesthesia). However, in certain situations, your doctor might choose to perform the surgery using a local anaesthetic instead (injected directly into the neck skin), if this is the case they will tell you beforehand.
The neck lift incision can vary depending on your case. Usually, your surgeon will perform a small vertical incision right in front of each of your ears. This incision might be extended around your earlobe and a little behind your ear. Through this incision, your surgeon will pull your platysma muscle (platysmaplasty) and fix it with strong sutures to flatten any visible bands or cords.
Any excess subcutaneous tissue or skin will be cut out (cervicoplasty), and the remaining skin will be pulled tight to get rid of any skin folds or deep wrinkles on your neck.
Finally, the neck lift skin incision will be closed using fine sutures. Our surgeons implement meticulous and evidence-based techniques when closing your wound to make sure that it almost never leaves a visible scar.
The procedure is usually combined with liposuction and skin resurfacing techniques to give you a tight young-looking neck. After the surgery is done, a gauze dressing will be applied and you will be woken up. You will then be sent to the recovery room for monitoring.
Recovery and Healing
- Healing from a neck lift can take some time, expect to take approximately 2-3 weeks off work to rest and recover at home.
- During this period, you should avoid exercise and any heavy physical activities. Proper rest and post-operative care complement your surgeon’s skills to give you the best results.
- Some swelling around your jaw, ears, and neck and some bruising in the days following your neck lift is normal. Both swelling and bruising will fade on their own as the days pass.
- You will also be given a prescription for painkillers to help ease any discomfort.
- You will have a follow-up appointment a week after your surgery, during which your surgeon will remove your sutures.
Neck lift results are usually apparent immediately after surgery. As soon as you look in the mirror, you’ll find that there’s no more turkey neck, droopy jowls, saggy neck skin, platysmal bands, or double chin.
Instead, you’ll have a tight neck contour, strong jawline, and a clear neck angle. Nevertheless, bruising and swelling during the first couple of weeks after surgery might temporarily mask the full outcome.
Depending on your rejuvenating goals, you may want to combine one or more additional procedures when you schedule your neck lift surgery to improve your results. You may choose to including:
- Lower Face Lift and/or chemical peel skin resurfacing to reduce wrinkles
- Brow or Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
- Anti-wrinkle injections (injectables) and dermal fillers or fat transfer to the face (restores lost volume)
- Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty) or revision rhinoplasty for an earlier nose job with poor results.
- Other body contouring or breast enhancement surgery, including; Breast Lift, Breast Reduction, Enlargement/Uplift
- Arm Lift (upper arm contouring) – Brachioplasty arm girth reduction
- If any other face, body or breast procedures are of interest to you, just ask your Surgeon about potentially combining procedures. Phone 1300 264 811
All surgery has risks – for detailed information about the risks and potential complications of Neck Lift surgery please visit the risks of surgery page.
Get a Confidential Consultation for Neck Lift Surgery or other facial surgery by our leading Melbourne expert Plastic Surgeon(s).
Phone 1300 264 811 to make a booking ($300 booking fee applies; and due to high demand for facial consultations, advanced notice is usually helpful).
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ask us to schedule 3D imaging when you book your consultation (if that’s important to you) as it’s not always standard in consultation but may sometimes be used
Meet our Surgeons
- Our team’s top Neck Lift Surgeons operate in some of Melbourne’s best private hospitals.
- We have several facial surgeons to choose from including Dr Patrick Briggs in Melbourne, and Dr Richard Sackelariou (in Sydney, with some facial rejuvenation options in Melbourne)
- Meet our Melbourne Cosmetic Surgeons/Plastic Surgeons (all FRACS Plastic Surgeons)
- Our surgeons are genuinely qualified FRACS Plastic Surgeons (Specialists) in Cosmetic, Plastic and Reconstructive surgery
- They are highly respected by their peers and patients alike, and all have current memberships in important Plastic Surgery training groups such as ASAPS, ASPS and/or ISAPS
- Furthermore, they also graduated from (and have lectured in) top Melbourne area Universities
- And, regularly attend the best international Plastic Surgery training sessions, available only to FRACS and ASAPS/ASPS qualified Plastic Surgeons (Fully accredited)
- Note that Cosmetic Surgeons or general surgeons cannot attend these sessions
- That’s because cosmetic surgeons, who are often a GP, dentist or skin doctor, are not recognised by AHPRA as a Specialist Plastic, Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgeon
- Our Surgeons have also trained, worked with and/or presented alongside several of the world’s best known Plastic Surgeons from all around the globe
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
Send an enquiry form today or phone us on 1300 264 811 (Hawthorn).