Ear Pinning – Prominent Ear Reduction – Otoplasty Surgery in Melbourne VIC
Ear pinning surgery or prominent ear reduction is known as Otoplasty surgery for children and adults. Our Plastic Surgeons do not offer earlobe repairs for perforated, stretched or torn earlobes.
The Ear Pinning Procedure – Otoplasty Plastic Surgery
- Otoplasty is designed to essentially ‘pin back’ protruding ears.
- It can be done at nearly any age but is often performed on children or adolescents with noticeably protruding ears, often after years of being taunted.
- It can leave individuals feeling more satisfied, or less self-conscious, about their appearance.
- The procedure can take an hour or slightly longer to perform and prices or costs vary from patient to patient.
- At our Clinic, the prices range from $6,000 to $12,000 as an average price range by our Melbourne Surgeons.
Otoplasty and Appearance Changes
Ears are not typically a major focal point of the face.
But if they visibly protrude well beyond the range of other individuals, it can leave some people feeling self-conscious or unhappy about their looks. Hence, this surgery if popular for individuals who have very protruding ear cartilage.
Whilst there are few, if any, functional benefits to having ear cartilage surgically adjusted to protrude less, it can have a cosmetic benefit to one’s appearance.
That’s because long-term discontentment with unwanted attention about the appearance of one’s ears can eventuate into:
- lowered self-esteem
- a heightened sense of self-consciousness
- self-consciousness in relationships or during photoshoots
The good news is that excessively protruding ears can often be remedied by surgical techniques in the hands of a Plastic Surgeon.
Examples of the work of Sydney Surgeon, Dr Richard Sackelariou, are shown below.
Description of the Ear Pinning Procedure (Otoplasty Surgery)
- Ear pinning involves the Surgeon making an incision behind each ear where the ear meets the side of the head or scalp.
- The cartilage of the ear is then re-modelled and manipulated, so it can be sutured into place to help flatten the appearance of the ears so they sit closer to the head or scalp.
- For some patients, ear cartilage may need to be removed, to allow for more adjustment to attain the desired alteration of ear appearance.
How long does Otoplasty Surgery take?
- This procedure generally takes about an hour or slightly longer.
- It can vary from patient to patient.
- It can be done in a Day Surgery Clinic or Hospital.
Scarring after Surgery: Visibility of Otoplasty Scars
- Scarring after ear pinning surgery will vary with each individual and each Otoplasty surgery.
- Most Otoplasty scars are disguised by the natural contours of the ear and head.
- To accomplish this, incisions are placed primarily in the crease where your ear is attached to your scalp (technically known as the post-auricular sulcus area), so as to be less visible.
- Scarring after Otoplasty reduces over several weeks as it heals, and are typically minimal to nearly invisible for many patients.
Otoplasty Procedures Can Vary: Different Ear Pinning Surgery Types
Risks and Recovery from Otoplasty Surgery (Ear Pinning Recovery Time)
- All surgery has risks.
- Typically, for healthy candidates who follow pre-surgery and post-op instructions, risks are minimal with Otoplasty surgery.
- However, as with any type of surgery, in some cases, infections or other surgery complications can occur.
Patients are encouraged to treat the surgical area(s) from ear pinning incisions as they would any wound.
- In other words, keep it clean and sterile while the skin repairs itself and heals.
- Follow post-surgery instructions carefully.
- Avoid strenuous or high impact sports until your incisions have fully healed and you’re cleared by your Surgeon.
Recovery from Otoplasty ear pinning surgery is typically very quick, and most patients will not require any time off work unless they are experiencing discomfort or pain.
- Pain medication should alleviate any discomfort.
- Dissolvable stitches are often used when suitable, and these then dissolve within 7-10 days.
- Your Surgeon will want to see you for a follow-up visit, so be sure to attend as scheduled.
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to arrange to speak with our Patient Care Coordinator.
Send an enquiry form today or phone us during Clinic Hours. A $300 booking fee is required to visit with a Surgeon, and a GP referral to a Specialist Plastic Surgeon is helpful to claim any consultation rebates from Medicare.
Otoplasty Surgery (pinning of overly large ears or reducing ear lobe protrusions).
- Surgery can take about an hour or more to perform.
- It can sometimes be done under local Anaesthesia in a Clinic location.
- It can also be performed under General Anaesthesia in a hospital setting (many factors go into which of these might be more suitable for any particular patient).
- The surgery is not covered by a Medicare rebate Code.
- However, a GP referral may be helpful for claiming a Medicare rebate, if applicable, for part of your Specialist Surgical Consultation fees (not always applicable).
- So get a referral from your GP to discuss the situation with a Specialist Plastic Surgeon such as Dr Richard Sackelariou (based in Sydney, occasionally may be available in Melbourne).
Will Medicare cover Otoplasty (ear pinning) costs?
Please note that if you do qualify for a consultation rebate (and not all ear assessments will), Medicare does NOT reimburse you for the entire amount of your consult or for any cosmetic surgery expenses. Click here for information.
Ear Pinning is considered cosmetic in nature. Otoplasty Surgery is not covered by Medicare for adults over 18.
Ear Pinning Surgery Costs also vary and can range between $6,000 and $12,000 at our Clinic.
There is typically no functional benefit to having ear pinning performed; and most requests are cosmetic in nature. However, that doesn’t mean that having very protruding ears doesn’t have an impact on your day to day life, and it CAN impact your ear wear (earrings) or how you wear or comb your hair. Each person chooses Otoplasty Surgery (ear pinning) for a personal reason. Just be sure you understand the process, procedure risks, and costs.
More about Otoplasty Plastic Surgery in Melbourne locations: Cost and Pricing Comparisons
- The cost of ear pinning surgery, known as Otoplasty Surgery, by one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons can vary from patient to patient. It all depends on what’s required, and every patient is unique.
- The cost may also vary in relation to where the surgery is performed, e.g. in a Clinic or a Hospital setting.
- Exact quotes are only available during or after a consultation; they are valid for a number of weeks and are subject to change.
- The general range of Otoplasty Surgery by one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons ranges between $6,000 and $12,000 (AUD).
- It is NOT covered by Medicare nor most insurance funds, but you can phone your Insurance Fund directly to ask if they help with hospital cover (sorry, our team cannot assist you with Insurance Fund enquiries, the patient or health fund holder has to directly contact the insurance firm).
Further Reading – Medical References
- MayoClinic- Otoplasty (Ear correction surgery).
- Journal of Craniofacial Surgery- Two Laterally Based Flap Otoplasty for Protruding Ear Correction
- Medical News Today- Should I have an Otoplasty?
- Aesthetic Plastic Surgery- Otoplasty: Rasps or Puncture Needles? A Clinical Trial
To find out what your surgery would involve, and the cost, process and risks, book a consultation with one of our team’s top Specialist Plastic Surgeons.
Are you keen to get your ear lobes surgically “pinned”?
How to Book your Initial Consultation for Ear Pinning Surgery (Otoplasty).
- Email us or Call on 1300 264 811 to arrange your Surgeon consultation.
- A Referral from your GP or from your specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral however any partial rebates that you MAY qualify for may not apply. Typically you need a GP referral to get any rebates for a Specialist Consultation.
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the $300 booking fee to hold your appointment time.
- Attend the consultation and get the information you require to make an informed decision.
- If you’re wanting to proceed with surgery, our Team will guide you through setting a surgery date and how to prepare for – and heal from – ear pinning surgery.