How to get a Medical Referral from a GP or a Specialist to a Coco Ruby Surgeon
If your surgery is eligible for a Medicare item number you’ll need to get a valid Medical Referral to access the Medicare rebate (and maybe a Private Health Fund subsidy). A Referral from a GP is valid for 12 months whereas a Referral from a Specialist is valid for 3 months. Please FAX your referral letter to (03) 9429 8456 or alternatively send by email to email@example.com
NOTE – It is NOT essential to have a medical referral before having an initial consultation with a Coco Ruby Plastic Surgeon – but you won’t be eligible for the Medicare rebate of about $70.
Depending on your level of Private Hospital Insurance cover, you may be able to get assistance from your Insurer to subsidise your Hospital Fee but only IF you are eligible for a Medicare item number and have a valid Medical Referral.
Here is an article on the RULES about what is a Valid Medical Referral to a Specialist.
Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery offers a range of Breast, Body, Face and Nose surgery, as well as, Gender SRS Cosmetic Plastic Surgery by some of Australia’s most experienced surgeons. Our main clinic is located in Hawthorn and also Berwick in Melbourne, Australia.
Surgeons at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery – Plastic Surgeons and ENT Surgeon
About our Melbourne Surgeons and their Specialities
- Dr Craig Rubinstein – Breast and Tummy Surgery for Women in Melbourne
- Dr Patrick Briggs – Breast, Body, Face & Gender/SRS Surgery for men and women in Melbourne
- Femail surgeon Dr Rebecca Wyten – Breast and Tummy Surgery for Women in Melbourne
- Dr Richard Sackelariou – Breast, Nose and Face Surgery in Melbourne and Sydney
- Dr Stephen Kleid – ENT Surgeon – Nose Surgery in Melbourne
We currently don’t offer Skin Cancer Surgery, Post Cancer Reconstruction, Hand Surgery or Trauma Surgery – however, we can help you find another reliable surgeon to refer to.
Doctors and Medical Practices that can provide you with a Medical Referral for Plastic Surgery
|Young, Dr Richard||Medi 7 – Suite 2A, 517 St Kilda Road Melbourne||(03) 9013 9794|
|Doswell, Dr Julie||Camberwell Junction Medical Clinic – Rear 6-8 Prospect Hill Road Camberwell||(03) 9882 8184|
|Ebert, Dr Dirk||Rowville Health – 12 St Lawrance Way Rowville||(03) 9764 1617|
|Rogers, Dr. Sue||North Ringwood Medical Centre – 210 Warrandyte Road Ringwood North||(03) 9876 2222|
|Mahdi, Dr Nadia||Greensborough Medical Centre – 9-13 Flintoff Street Greensborough||(03) 9431 9200|
|Shivaraj, Dr Suma||Modern Medical Hobsons Bay – 196-200 Hall Street Spotswood||(03) 9391 2855|
|Yiap, Dr Debbie||Thomas Street Family Medical Centre – 162 Thomas Street Brighton East||(03) 9578 2561|
|Mulkearns, Dr Paul||Leake Street Clinic – 11 Leake Street Essendon||(03) 9379 2042|
|Aouad, Dr Ayman||Northend Medical Centre – 48-50 Childs Road Epping||(03) 9408 8800|
|Sher, Dr Julia||302 Glenferrie Road Medical Centre – 302 Glenferrie Rd Malvern||(03) 9822 9822|
|Pai, Dr Emmy||Longevity Medical Centre – 8 Jackson Court Doncaster East||(03) 9848 2009|
|Herington, Dr Marc||Victoria Harbour Medical Centre 2/3, 850 Collins Street Docklands||(03) 9629 1414|
|Karamoutsos, Dr Peter||Greensborough Medical Centre 9-13 Flintoff Street Greensborough||(03) 9431 9200|
|Monk, Dr Andrew||Manningham General Practice PO Box 2378 Lower Templestowe||(03) 8850 0500|
|Arsenakis, Dr Bill||Burnley Street Medical Centre 307 Burnley Street Richmond||(03) 9429 5499|
|Nunes, Dr Lydia||Brighton Medical Clinic 26 Carpenter Street Brighton||(03) 9592 0222|
|Matthews, Dr Magdelena||Westgate Health Co-Op Ltd 547 The Lakes Boulevard South Morang||(03) 9436 0966|
|Thondan, Dr Mala||Harp Family Medical Centre 623 High Street Kew East||(03) 9859 7711|
|Alexander, Dr Mourad||Our Lady Of Rivergum Medical Centre 3 Rivergum Drive Mill Park||(03) 9436 0700|
|Kliman, Dr Len||Suite 101, 320 Victoria Parade East Melbourne||(03) 9419 2372|
|Wan, Dr Li||HEMAC 663 Burwood Road Hawthorn East||(03) 9078 9997|
|Mann-Segal, Dr Daniel||North Road Medical Centre 409 North Road Caulfield South||(03) 9576 9311|
|Lim, Dr Anthony||North Ringwood Medical Centre 210 Warrandyte Road Ringwood North||(03) 9876 2222|
|Franks, Dr Arthur||The Clinic Williamstown 107 Ferguson Street Williamstown||(03) 9397 1366|
Please make an appointment with a Medical Professional and ask for a referral to either the clinic – Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery – or a specific surgeon.
Benefits of getting a Medical Referral
- Firstly, it keeps all your medical records in one place (Your GP)
- Secondly, it informs your surgeon about your medical history
- It also enables your surgeon to keep your GP updated
- Furthermore, yo need it in order to be eligibility for a Medicare Rebate and possible Private Health Insurance subsidy for your medically necessary surgery.
- And finally, you can get a Medicare Rebate on your Specialist Consultation Fee if you have a medical referral. However, not for purely Cosmetic surgery, only medically necessary surgery.
Information for a Medical Referral to a Specialist Plastic Surgeon or ENT Surgeon
Helpful Information in a Patient Referral for Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
The following items would be helpful in your medical referral to a specialist plastic or ENT Surgeon.
Patient Demographic Information:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Next of kin
- Postal address
- Contact number(s)
- Email address
- Medicare number
- Referring GP details including provider number
- Usual GP (if different)
- Interpreter requirements (if req)
Patient Clinical Information
- Reason for referral to a specialist
- Duration of symptoms
- Management to date and response to treatment
- Past medical history
- Current medications and medication history if relevant
- Functional status and capability
- Both Psychosocial history and any Mental Health issues
- Dietary status
- Family history
- Diagnostic tests completed and any results
NOTE – A referral from a GP is valid for 12 months whereas a Referral from a Specialist is valid for 3 months. It is also vital that your referral is valid at the time of surgery.
In order to be eligible for Medicare – It is helpful that your doctor indicates that you meet all the criteria.
Useful Medicare Criteria Information for Patients getting a Referral
- Read the Blog on “will medicare cover my surgery?”
- Medicare Item Numbers, Criteria and Guidelines for Plastic Surgery
Download our Guide to Medicare and Health Insurance for Plastic Surgery
Download ALL the Plastic Surgery Procedure Guides & Patient Journey Guides
You can access all our guides and checklists online or we are happy to send out printed copies of these guides to Victorian Medical Clinics.