Not sure who to chose for your Cosmetic Surgery or Plastic Surgery?
Find out the difference between a fully qualified Plastic, Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgeon vs a “Cosmetic Surgeon” (who might be a GP or different type of Surgeon than a genuine Plastic Surgeon).
Did you know the difference between a Cosmetic Surgeon and a Plastic Surgeon?
- These two terms are DEFINITELY not the same, but advertising can deceive you into thinking they are.
- But they are not identical in training, and a Specialist Plastic Surgeon has made Plastic, Cosmetic and Reconstructive surgery – including scar management – a lifelong pursuit. A Cosmetic Surgeon could be just about anyone who’s worked in medicine (they are also likely to only operate in their rooms, as a Cosmetic Surgeon is not covered, nor authorised, to work in genuine Private Hospitals in Australia).
How can you research your Surgeon to know you’re making a good choice to increase your likelihood of getting the best possible surgery experience with your chosen procedure, recovery processes, scars and follow-up care?
- The answer to this question depends on what you consider important for surgery.
- We highly advise you NOT to shop on the price for something as important – and as long-lasting and visible – as your cosmetic plastic surgery results.
- Shoes, yes – go for a discount – little harm. But surgery? Think twice.
- Find out how to take steps to avoid a surgery disaster.
- Do your research.
- Read our FREE Guides to Cosmetic Surgery (Cosmetic Surgery performed by genuine highly qualified Plastic Surgeons)
Each of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons is highly experienced in their preferred areas of cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery focus.
Not sure who to choose for your breast surgery, body contouring/liposuction, or facial surgery and eyelid lifts? We can recommend which one of our Surgeons are likely to be most suitable for you based on the procedure you’re interested in, and your personality style.
Some valuable tips to help you find the right plastic surgeon for you
1. Finding the right surgeon
- In selecting your surgeon, your first challenge is to develop a list of candidates.
- Not all medical practitioners performing cosmetic surgery are plastic surgeons or even practitioners with formal surgery qualifications.
- So where do you start?
2. Ask your friends what Plastic Surgeon they recommend for cosmetic surgery procedures.
- Many of our patients have been referred to us via ‘word of mouth’ from our satisfied patients.
- We often see our patients for continuing treatment and further procedures which is a testament to our standards of care and our visible results.
- Even so, it’s helpful to read reviews online once you’ve got a name from a friend.
3. Ask your local GPs or reputable Private Hospitals who they recommend (but still do your homework).
- GP’s and Hospitals can refer you to a specialist or certified plastic surgeon for your procedure.
- We receive hundreds of referrals from GP’s every year who believe we can provide their patients with an excellent service.
4. Contact the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS):
- The ASPS can give you advice and provide you with a list of members who are accredited.
- All ASPS members are fully qualified in both reconstructive and cosmetic surgery with a record of accomplishment in this field and a commitment to ethical standards.
- Our Surgeons are members of ASPS and receive many referrals each and every year.
6. Check Your Surgeon’s Credentials before agreeing to a breast procedure, Tummy Tuck or Facelift or Eyelid Surgery procedure
- Before making any decision, you must check a surgeon’s qualifications, experience and credentials.
- Credentials can’t guarantee a positive outcome but they may significantly reduce your risk if you’re choosing between a non-credentialled, less experienced surgeon and a bonafide Plastic Surgeon.
- At Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery, our team of plastic surgeons training and accreditation tend to exceed all national benchmarks for training and expertise.
- Our Surgeon also has a commitment to continued education, and you regularly see them attend globally renowned Plastic Surgery Conferences in Australia and across the globe.
- You are in safety-minded hands – we look after sterilisation, safety and comfort as you move through your procedure (but be sure you do YOUR role, too, as what you do DOES matter in terms of getting a good result).
- Be honest, too, with your chosen Surgeon.
- Also, when choosing a Plastic Surgeon word of mouth is always a great way to gain further knowledge.
7. Arrange an Initial Consultation so you can get personalised information about what’s possible for YOU.
- In your consultation, you need to be reassured, your questions need to be appropriately answered and your decision should be easily made whether it is to go ahead with the treatment or not.
- There’s never any pressure and no obligation to proceed with surgery after attending a consultation.
- There’s even a cooling-off period and mandatory waiting time (sorry, no rushing into surgery as impulsive surgery decisions can be made for the wrong reasons).
- At your consultation, you should ask all the questions necessary and your surgeon should answer all the questions you need. Most importantly, your surgeon should not rush you into a decision.
- At Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery, we believe information and education are the cornerstones to any decision made about your body.
8. Make An Informed Decision after researching your procedure and reading our Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Guides:
- Now you have all the information you need you once you understand the differences, you should be able to make an informed decision on choosing the right Specialist Plastic Surgeon for you.
- For a personal consultation with one of our fully qualified Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeons please contact Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery on (03) 8849 1444.
- At your confidential consultation, we can discuss your exact needs and recommend a plan of action to help you to achieve your goals.
- Contact us now, we look forward to seeing you soon.
Choose from one of our 7 Top Specialists who perform Plastic or Cosmetic Surgery
Support for Interstate Patients who live in Sydney and want Plastic Surgery
Ask about who we know in your area or how we can help you with breast augmentation, tummy tuck surgery, Rhinoplasty or Eyelid and Facelift surgery if you have support in the Melbourne regions.
Choose a highly respected Surgeon who is focused on precision, patient safety, good communication and patient care. Dr Richard Sackelariou, who sees Cosmetic Surgery patients in his Plastic Surgery clinics in Melbourne and Sydney. His focus areas include Rhinoplasty (open and closed), Breast Surgery (Augmentation, Breast Lift and Breast Reduction as well as removal and replacements), Lip Lift Surgery, Chin Augmentation, Tummy Tuck procedures and other body contouring and anti-ageing procedures including eyelid lifts and facelift or neck lift procedures.
Visit our Downloadable Guides page for more information about Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery options and research in Australia.
We have guides to help you understand your procedure, heal better after having cosmetic or plastic surgery, choose a surgeon, avoid common pitfalls and surgery disasters with careful planning, and even how to talk with others about having a surgical procedure.
What next on your Plastic Surgery Journey in Australia
How to Book your Initial Consultation with a Specialist at our Clinic in Hawthorn East – conveniently near Kew, Balwyn, Camberwell, Richmond, Auburn, Glen Iris, Toorak, Chadstone and Malvern.
- Email us below or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment OR
- Book a FREE 15-minute Phone Chat with our Patient Liaison Manager. Book Now
- A Referral from your GP or from your specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral – although no rebates are claimable without one.
- So if you’re seeing a Plastic Surgeon for a medical concern (back pain due to large breasts, or torn abdominal muscles and excess belly fat and sagging skin after pregnancy or weight loss, be sure you get a referral before you arrive).
- Schedule a confidential consultation with your selected Specialist Surgeon by paying the $200 booking fee.
Want more information before scheduling your Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information – DOWNLOAD A GUIDE about the procedure or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Consultation with a Nurse.
- Organise a phone call with Patient Coordinator (FREE) Click here.
- Attend our Regular Practice FREE Events and hear from our Plastic Surgeons along with their top support team.
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure you want – call or contact us
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- You may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
Please contact us using the form below to arrange a consultation with one of our expert Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Team on (03) 8849 1444.