Areola & Nipple Correction Surgeries – Nipple Reshaping Procedures by Plastic Surgeon
What Is Nipple Reshaping Surgery?
Perfectly shaped nipples and areolas can be achieved with a range of correction procedures that help boost confidence and comfort. If your nipples are too long, asymmetric or inverted then Nipple Surgery may help,
If your Areolas are too wide then there are specific procedures an breast surgeries that can help too.
NOTE: Coco Ruby Plastic Surgeons offer Nipple and Areola Reshaping surgeries ONLY in combination with Breast Surgery procedures like Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift and Breast Reduction Surgery performed in Hospital.
Breast Anatomy – the Nipple and Areola Complex
A common misconception is that the nipple is the whole frontal part of the breast. However, the nipple is at the very center portion of the breast; it is linked with the mammary glands which produce milk. On the other hand, the areola is the darker colored area that surrounds the nipple. Areolas vary in size and they tend to be round or oval in shape. The whole thing is known as the NAC – Nipple Areola Complex.
Nipple Correction surgery
Nipple correction surgery corrects the problems involving asymmetrical, large, inverted, or protruding nipples. Men and women alike can experience these problems. The most common nipple correction surgery is the procedure to address inverted nipples. As a very simple procedure, nipple correction increases your confidence and improves body image. Benefits of nipple correction surgery aren’t limited to the most intimate moments, but extend to greater comfort when you’re wearing close-fitting style outfits.
Areola Correction surgery
Areola correction, or areola reduction surgery, is a procedure that decreases the diameter of one or both areolas. The procedure can be performed on its own or in conjunction with other surgeries such as breast lift, breast augmentation, and breast reduction. If you’ve lost a lot of weight and feeling uncomfortable about stretched out areolas – this procedure can help fix that problem. The procedure also works well in cases when areolas change due to pregnancy and breastfeeding as well.
You’re also a good candidate for this surgery if your areolas are protruding or puffy.
Areola correction is usually completed in about one hour. The procedure involves the removal of the circular area of the outer brown of the areola. The skin that surrounds it is brought inwards while stitches inside the areola serve to decrease its diameter. The new areola is secured with a permanent suture, which prevents it from stretching again.
The recovery process of areola correction is relatively fast. Swelling and bruising are normal after the surgery, but they tend to go away within a day or two. It may take a few weeks for you to see and appreciate the results. Once the areolas heal entirely, you’ll notice they are smaller and more centered.
Inverted Nipple Correction Surgery
Inverted nipple correction is a procedure that corrects the nipple to allow it to project out in a natural way. As one of the most common nipple reshaping procedures, inverted nipple correction helps you become more confident.
An inverted nipple happens when the nipple is pulled inward into the breast instead of pointing outwards. The condition happens due to a number of reasons. In most cases it is due to the milk ducts that connect to the nipple. The ducts are overly tight and pull the nipple in.
Some of the biggest causes of inverted nipple include:
- Congenital Cause (was present at birth)
- Disease or trauma (any condition that involves inflammation may pull the nipple inward)
- Complications of breast surgery
- Breast duct ectasia (benign breast condition wherein a milk duct widens and its walls thicken)
- Breast cyst
- Benign breast tumour
- Subareolar abscess
- Mastitis (inflammation of breast tissue sometimes accompanied by infection)
- Fat necrosis
An inverted nipple isn’t just an aesthetic problem; its consequences can also extend to the difficulty to breastfeed. A baby can find it difficult, or even impossible in some cases, to latch on the breast and bring the nipple to their mouth.
Inverted Nipple Correction Procedure
The operation involves placing an incision along the edge of the nipple. This is done to gently release overly tight milk ducts. The nipple projects out to its natural position almost instantly. You can notice the improvement right away. The recovery process is simple, you can even start showering the day after the procedure, but keep in mind some bruising and swelling after the surgery is normal, and it may last a few days up to a week.
Nipple Reduction Surgery for protruding nipples
Nipple reduction surgery aims to decrease the size of a overly long and protruding nipple. Enlarged nipples or nipple hypertrophy happens when milk ducts develop in an enlarged way. Nipple reduction surgery also includes nipple enlargement caused by breastfeeding due to repetitive suction. Enlarged nipples are a major source of frustration and have a significant impact on confidence and self-esteem. They may also lead to irritation and chafing from constant rubbing against clothes, thus causing discomfort.
The procedure includes removal of excess parts of the nipple that pose as deformities or contribute to undesirable appearance. The main goal of the surgery is to decrease the projection or diameter of the nipple. The recovery process is fast and lasts a couple of weeks.
Who is suitable for nipple reshaping?
- If you have a congenital abnormality affecting nipples or you’re dissatisfied with their appearance.
- Significant weight loss, breastfeeding, enlarged breasts, aging, genetics can all be contributors.
What to expect before and after the Nipple Correction procedure?
- Before the procedure, you’ll get all the information you need from a specialist plastic surgeon. You may expect swelling and bruising. The operated area can be sore, and you may experience a little bit of pain and discomfort. Swelling and bruising are always a part of surgery and will fade away over time. Every patient will recover in their own time. You’ll get all the instructions on what you can and can’t do after the procedure.
When do results become noticeable? How long does recovery after Nipple Correction take?
- Nipple reshaping procedures typically have fast recovery. You can expect to see the results in two to four weeks.
- Keep in mind the speed of recovery depends on different factors, including your general health and the body’s healing process. Some procedures, such as inverted nipple correction can show results immediately.
How long does nipple reconstruction surgery take?
- Nipple reconstruction surgery is convenient. The procedures may last 30 minutes to an hour.
- The exact duration of the procedure depends on the type. It can be performed solely or in conjunction with other breast surgery such as breast reduction, breast lift (mastopexy) or breast augmentation (implants).
Why do nipples stay hard after breast implants?
- After breast augmentation procedure nipples may stay hard due to nerve irritation, although uncomfortable, this problem tends to go away by itself in time.
Nipple reshaping procedures have the outstanding potential to improve your confidence. These procedures don’t require a long recovery time but can improve your confidence and comfort.