Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty Surgery in Melbourne
Fleur de Lis Surgery, also known as FDL; a vertical abdominoplasty or a corset lipectomy is a more extensive excess skin reduction surgery than the traditional abdominal procedure. While a traditional tummy tuck aims to remove excess skin from the lower abdomen, the aim of a Fleur de Lis procedure is to achieve a “tighter” appearance over the WHOLE abdominal area.
Where a standard abdominoplasty only removes excess skin in a horizontal direction, the Fleur de Lis technique is used in cases where it is necessary to remove excess skin in both vertical and horizontal directions. The procedures name, “Fleur de Lis” describes the shape of the area that the specialist surgeon will operate on.
This alternative abdominal procedure may be a great option for patients whose sagging skin creates a problem not only on the lower abdomen but also on the upper belly and side/hip area. Furthermore, a Vertical abdominoplasty can help patients achieve better abdominal contours as well as tighter and better-looking skin.
Am I a Good Candidate for Fleur De Lis Surgery (FDL)?
A good vertical abdominoplasty (FDL) candidate will be someone with loose tissue, caused by;
- multiple pregnancies
- significant weight loss due to either;
- gastric sleeve
- gastric bypass
- or, lifestyle changes.
- as well as those who suffer from sagging skin due to age or other abdominal surgeries.
Hanging skin and loss of contours in the abdomen area can be a huge psychological burden and can lead to physical and mental dissatisfaction. If this sounds like something you can relate to, you might consider vertical abdominoplasty as a potential solution.
The results are more visible and noticeable than various non-invasive procedures and exercises that do not and cannot achieve the desired look. However, in order for your specialist plastic surgeon to determine not only if Fleur de Lis Surgery is the right procedure for you but if you’re a good candidate, you will need to have a consultation with them. During this consult, you will have a general health assessment to determine the right course of action as well as potential risks, complications and side effects.
Overall, you could be a good candidate for Fleur de Lis surgery if:
- You are unhappy with the appearance of your abdomen and suffer from low self-confidence as a result of hanging excess skin.
- Excess skin is present on not only the lower abdomen but on the upper area and sides of your stomach, as well.
- You are in good general health and do not suffer from serious illnesses or medical conditions.
- You do not use medications that could jeopardize the procedure and/or recovery.
- Your expectations of what surgery can achieve are realistic.
- You are not a smoker, or if you are a smoker your willing to quit smoking before your surgery.
- And you understand all the potential risks and complications of a vertical abdominoplasty.
Benefits of Fleur De Lis Abdo Surgery
Vertical abdominoplasty, or Fleur de Lis Surgery, improves body contours through the elimination of loose, hanging skin, leaving the patient with a significantly flatter abdomen and tighter skin. The procedure also improves the waistline and hips, in not just one but two directions. A Fleur De Lis is the only procedure that allows for the tightening of skin covering the entire abdomen.
Furthermore, excess skin can cause not only discomfort but rashes and infections as well. Pre-surgery patients may have also found that in order to feel more comfortable they hid the loose excess skin under baggy clothing. Well, say goodbye to infections, rashes and loose baggy clothes and hello to improved self-confidence, mobility and freedom.
Fleur De Lis Before and After Photos
Visit the clinic to see the real patient photo gallery of Before and After Fleur de Lis surgery photographs representing typical results our patients get. Results depend on individual patient circumstances and can vary significantly.
Fleur De Lis Surgical Procedure
As stated above, a vertical abdominoplasty or FDL is a complex surgical procedure. And as such, it is important to remember and understand that due to the removal of excess skin being both vertical and horizontal along the abdomen that the Fleur de Lis procedure creates an additional, vertical scar. As pictured below.
In other words, the Fleur De Lis procedure has two incisions, one in the typical tummy tuck location (along the pubic bone area) and one vertical incision around the centre of your abdomen. However, the length of the vertical incision will depend on both the location and the amount of skin laxity (sagging, loose skin). This second incision lets the surgeon tighten your skin from the sides as well as up and down. Whilst this second incision means additional scarring, thanks to the skill and experience of our specialist plastic surgeons, the scar will generally fade over time and lose most of its visibility. Furthermore, there are scar treatment options that can further reduce scarring. This technique makes it possible to remove significant amounts of tissue located along the central zone of the anterior abdominal wall.
Recovery after FDL Surgery
Recovery often depends on the complexity of the procedure itself. Like any other invasive surgery, vertical abdominoplasty is individualized. Therefore every patient’s recovery will be different. That being said, patients can expect;
- Moderate pain; Your surgeon will prescribe you painkillers to help alleviate pain.
- And swelling
While the above are normal side effects of this procedure, you can help alleviate them by using a compression garment for the first few days and by following your surgeon’s instructions.
Moreover, if your procedure is more complex or extensive, it is possible that you may need to stay in hospital for observation and to help avoid complications. But this period is usually not longer than 2-4 days. Fortunately, under normal circumstances, you will be able to go home the day of or the day after your operation. Full recovery depends not only on the extensiveness of the procedure but also on your body’s natural healing process.
After 2-3 weeks of rest, you will be able to perform easy, simple tasks. Moreover, if your job is not physically strenuous you can expect to return to work around this time. Sports and strenuous activities should be resumed until at least 6 weeks post-surgery.
You can learn more about plastic surgery recovery in the following articles;
- Common feelings after cosmetic surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery Recovery tips
- Rapid Recovery Pack Guide
- Post Operative Care Guide
Complications and Risks of Fleur De Lis Surgery
As stated previously, Fleur de Lis is a complex surgical procedure and as such can only be performed by the best, top plastic surgeons in Australia. Although it is more complex than traditional abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck), the percentage of cases with developed complications is similar – very low. To reduce possible risks and complications, it is vital that you choose the best Fleur De Lis surgeon, someone who has experience and knowledge in performing the procedure. Someone like Dr Geoff Barnett.
The most common complications of FDL surgery include:
- Unwanted scars
- Abdomen Asymmetry
- Dissatisfaction with the results
- And, reaction to anaesthesia
Your FDL Patient Journey
Pre Op – Consultation
During the first consultation, the specialist surgeon will talk to you, in detail about your desires and expectations from FDL surgery. You will also be informed about all potential risks and complications that may arise during the surgical procedure and recovery. You will then undergo a detailed medical examination to determine with certainty that you are a good candidate for vertical abdominoplasty. At this time they will evaluate the amount of excess skin, the extent of skin sagging, and weakness of abdominal muscles, if present.
First, the appropriate anaesthesia will be applied. After which the specialist plastic surgeon will begin the process of removing excess tissue and skin. Once excess skin and tissue has been cut away, the incision site will be brought together with sutures and recovery and healing begins.
Post Op – Recovery
Your specialist plastic surgeon and their team will give you strict but simple instructions in the form of a recovery plan. By following the recovery plan your healing should be relatively quick and painless while ensuring optimal results. Furthermore, you will have a post-op appointment with your surgeon to check on your incision sights, see how you are feeling and to advise on any other course of action that should be taken to optimize your results.
Cost of Fleur De Lis Surgery – Prices for FDL Abdominoplasty in Melbourne
Every patient is different, therefore prices will vary. At your first consultation, you will receive a price quote with a cost breakdown. Including but not limited to;
- your surgeon’s fee
- anaesthetist’s fee
- surgical assistant fee
- And, hospital fees
If you want to get more information about costs, payment methods, and options, you can visit our price guide.
Why Choose Dr Patrick Briggs?
Dr Briggs is a highly skilled Specialist Plastic surgeon with over 20 years of experience in his field. Furthermore, he has undergone training in the USA, England and Ireland. And is now working in Melbourne, at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery where he performs surgeries with innovative and up-to-date approaches.
Further Reading – Fleur De Lis – Medical References
- Abdominal Contour Surgery for the Massive Weight Loss Patient: The Fleur-De-Lis Approach
- The History of The Fleur-de-lis Technique: a Review of The Literature and Case Report
- Body contouring surgery following massive weight loss
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery- Fleur-de-Lis abdominoplasty: a safe alternative to traditional abdominoplasty for the massive weight loss patient
- Annals of Plastic Surgery- Modified Fleur-de-lis Abdominoplasty for Massive Weight Loss Patients
- Aesthet Surgery Journal– Abdominal Contour Surgery for the Massive Weight Loss Patient: The Fleur-De-Lis Approach
Fleur De Lis FAQ
How do I know if I need a classic Tummy Tuck or Fleur De Lis Surgery?
- Fleur De Lis is a procedure for patients who have a large amount of excess skin in both the lower and upper abdomen. While a Tummy Tuck is a better option for those who encounter this problem only in the lower abdominal wall.
Can I undergo Fleur De Lis if I am obese?
- People who suffer from overweight disorders (morbid obesity) are generally not good candidates for this procedure. Contact our specialist surgeon for more information.
Is Fleur De Lis tummy tuck a permanent weight loss surgery such as gastric bypass surgery?
- No, Fleur De Lis is not a surgery to attain permanent weight loss and is therefore not similar to gastric bypass surgery. Gastric bypass surgery is a procedure that decreases the volume of the stomach to induce early satiety. While Fleur De Lis is a procedure that is done to remove excess overhanging skin after significant weight loss either by natural means such as exercise and diet or via surgical procedures such as gastric bypass.
If I have high blood pressure and diabetes, am I a suitable candidate for Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty?
- All patients will go through a Pre-anaesthetic evaluation to assess the risk of surgery. Patients that are found fit during the assessment can then safely undergo the surgery. Generally speaking, hypertension and diabetes are not contraindications to surgical procedures as long as they are under control with medications prior to and during the surgery.
Is there an age limit that determines a good candidate for vertical abdominoplasty?
- FDL Surgery is a procedure that can be done on all adult patients that meet the rules of the professional, as well as the prerequisites to be good candidates for FDL Surgery.
When can I start driving?
- Driving can generally start driving again around 2 weeks post-op, however only for short distances. If you are taking any pain medication, it is recommended that you do not start driving until you have stopped taking it.
Associated Procedures with Fleur De Lis Tummy Tuck
Fleur De Lis Tummy tuck is the removal of excess skin from the upper and lower abdomen using three incisions. It may be accompanied by other procedures, like those below, to provide better-looking results and help achieve your goals.
Liposuction is a procedure usually performed to remove any unwanted excess fat in the abdominal region. However, it cannot remove large quantities of fat and is not a substitute for weight loss. Liposuction is performed before any incisional contouring can be done to produce the results of Fleur De Lis Tummy Tuck. A combination of Fleur De Lis Tummy Tuck and Liposuction can produce an extremely contoured and toned abdomen.
- Back Lift
Back Lift is a surgical procedure in which excess skin and fat is taken from the upper and lower back. As well as smoothing of back contours to give the back a taut and tight appearance. When performed together with Fleur De Lis, the results are drastic and can enhance the abdominal and back aesthetics.
Is Fleur De Lis Tummy Tuck Worth it?
Fleur De Lis is a great option for those with excess skin that sags and in general, looks flabby. Although it leaves a scar running through the middle of your abdomen, most patients who undergo this procedure are extremely happy with the result and do not mind the midline scar.
Fleur De Lis Tummy tuck also significantly improves the appearance of the abdominal region which can give you the confidence boost you need. The results of the procedure become visible the first day after the surgery, and it only gets better from there.
Based on extremely high satisfaction rates, yes. Fleur De Lis Tummy Tuck is absolutely worth it.