What is an Arm Lift?
Firstly, it’s important to know that the terms Arm Lift Surgery, Upper Arm Reduction Surgery and Brachioplasty are all terms to describe the Plastic Surgery procedure that helps reduce and remove flabby, excess skin from the upper arm area.
Bilateral (both arms) Arm Lift Surgery can be beneficial for both women and men who have lost weight or skin elasticity and firmness in the upper arm area, which has left unsightly sagging skin or ‘flaps’.
Am I a Good Candidate for an Arm Lift?
You may be a good candidate for an Arm lift if you;
- Want to achieve a firmer, more toned-looking upper arm area
- Have excess wobbly upper arm skin due to either weight loss or ageing
- Suffer from skin irritations, rashes or swelling as a result of your excess skin folds
- Are within a few kilos of your goal weight and have been able to maintain a steady weight over the last 6 months
- Do not have any underlying health issues
- Understand that Brachioplasty is not a weight loss procedure and it should not take the place of a healthy diet and exercise regime
- And have reasonable expectations
Patients choosing an arm lift often combine other body reshaping procedures or a complete makeover.
This short video from Dr Rebecca Wyten explains Arm Lift Surgery.
What are the benefits of Arm Lift Surgery?
- Reduces excess, unwanted skin in the upper arm area and gives arms a leaner and firmer appearance.
- Can improve self-confidence and comfort
- Prevents rashes, skin irritation and inflammation that can be a result of excess skin rubbing.
Arm Lift Before and After Photos Melbourne
Want to see photos of real patient results? Go to the gallery to see more actual patient photos of male Body Lift Surgery performed at our Melbourne Clinic by our Specialist Plastic Surgeons.
All surgeries are performed in Accredited Melbourne Hospitals by our highly experienced Specialist Plastic Surgeons.
What Can I Expect During Surgery?
- Once you are under general anaesthetic your surgeon will reduce excess skin from the inner section of the arms.
- Incisions run from the armpit area to variable lengths towards the elbow.
- If the excess skin extends past the armpit and onto the chest wall, the incision is extended to incorporate this. This is an Extended Brachioplasty.
- Your surgeon may incorporate Liposuction with Brachioplasty surgery. This reduces excess fatty tissue from the under and outer surfaces of the arm. Sometimes Liposuction may precede arm lift surgery.
- The surgeon will then close the incision edges using stitches beneath the skin. Often these sutures are dissolvable so that they do not need to be removed.
- Scars can take from 12-18 months to mature. However, this can vary from patient to patient.
- If scarring is a concern for you Healite II Technology, Fraxel Laser treatments or Dermapen may help with healing and minimisation of surgical scars.
All surgery has risks – for detailed information about the risks and potential complications of Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) Surgery please visit the risks of surgery page.
Recovery from Surgery
- The length of your recovery period will depend on your specific procedure and other health & lifestyle factors.
- Recovery times can vary significantly from person to person. The general rule, however, is that you should allow 4-6 weeks for recovery following your surgery.
- You will need to work with your Surgeon to allow for adequate and proper healing time.
- It is also important that you consult with your Surgeon before returning to daily activities like driving and exercise.
- Furthermore, it is important that you wear the post-operative compression garments throughout your recovery period (usually up to 6 weeks).
- At Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery, your garments will be provided by your Surgeon.
- Good results depend on both a collaborative approach and a healthy lifestyle.
- You must be willing to follow the specific instructions given to you by your Surgeon and attend all post-operative consultations.
Arm Lift Surgery Melbourne Cost – How much is Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) Surgery Melbourne?
Your Plastic Surgeon can offer you a price range for your surgery depending on the type of procedure, hospital and how long you stay in the hospital.
At your initial consultation, your surgeon will also give you a quote detailing the costs for your chosen procedure. This will include a Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and hospital fees as well as any other out of pocket cost like compression garments.
An approximate out-of-pocket expense for your arm lift surgery can be provided over the phone when you speak to a Patient Care Advisor. We also provide information on Medicare Cover (where applicable) and Private Health Insurance. We also have information on different methods of payment. Note, Tax implications will apply in case of early release of Super for Surgery.
Why Choose Us?
- Our surgeons are Melbourne Specialist Plastic Surgeons with the appropriate qualifications and recognised associations. FRACS, ASPAS, ASPS, ISAPS
- They operate in accredited hospitals, not in the back rooms of a clinic.
- Proven experience and examples from real patients or recommendations from your friends, family or GP.
- Corrective Surgery can be extremely costly, painful and does not guarantee the results you originally wanted as not everything can be fixed.
- Whilst a cheaper option might look better for your wallet, it won’t guarantee great results and many patients actually end up spending more than they originally thought on Corrective Surgery in an attempt to fix the mistakes of a less experienced surgeon.
About Our Plastic Surgeons
Brachioplasty is best performed by experienced, FRACS qualified surgeons who specialise in body contouring. We have several highly experienced plastic surgeons on our team to see patients in Melbourne.
Dr Geoff Barnett MBBS (Melb), FRACS (Plast) and Dr Rebecca Wyten BSc, MBBS, FRACS (Plas) are both Specialist Plastic Surgeons with extensive experience and knowledge in plastic surgery procedures including Arm lift surgery.
Further Reading – Medical References
Why Choose Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery?
Specialist Plastic Surgeons – FRACS (Plas) Melbourne
With a wealth of experience and training, our Specialist Plastic Surgeons are dedicated to best practice patient care and education, customising Breast Enlargement Surgery for each and every patient to best meet their needs and desired surgical outcomes.
Each Surgeon is fully qualified with current FRACS memberships and you should also consider these factors when searching for the best plastic surgeons in Melbourne. Also, when choosing a Plastic Surgeon word of mouth is always a great way to gain further knowledge.
How can we help?
The Coco Ruby team takes great pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient. The information we provide is of a general nature. To find out what to expect for your preferred procedures, arrange to see one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for a full history and surgical consultation. Read more about surgical outcome variability on our Disclaimer Page.