Urgent Elective Surgery for Plastic Surgery Patients – What are Surgery Procedure Categories?
During the COVID Crisis, Hospital resources are limited and scarce, so restrictions are placed on Elective Surgery. Decisions must be made about what is Urgent Elective Surgery.
Download our Guide to Medicare and Health Insurance for Plastic Surgery
Contact us to see if your surgery has an MBS item Number or is classed as urgent.
Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Procedures without an item number are very restricted during the COVID Crisis
This means elective procedures deemed cosmetic or that can’t be claimed with an MBS item number are restricted.
- Only procedures with MBS item number are likely to be performed – Surgical procedures that do NOT have an associated MBS item number will NOT be performed
- No Combination surgeries – item number and non-item number procedures at the same time- are NOT likely to be performed
- Elective surgery has been reduced to limited activity – (based on theatre capacity, # patients, # hours or # procedures – depending on hospital administrator)
- This Applies to all Metropolitan Melbourne Hospitals and Day Surgeries currently
- Priority may also be based on Urgency as assessed by admitting doctor – See Surgery Categories 1, 2 and 3
Is your Elective Surgery Procedure Urgent?
Priority Elective Surgery Categories
When a patient is assessed by a surgeon as requiring elective surgery, they are categorised as urgent based on 3 categories.
- Category 1: treatment required within 30 days or semi-urgent
- Category 2: treatment required within 90 days or non-urgent – condition causes pain or disability
- Category 3: treatment required within 12 months.
The different Australian State Governments, Surgeons and Hospital Administrators disagree over the exact category classifications of urgency during the Crisis.
Surgeons must make an assessment of what is URGENT – but may be subject to peer review or over-ruled by the Hospital or Health Department.
Common Plastic Surgery Procedures and their usual Urgency Category (selected from the pdf below)
- Malignant skin lesion – excision of +/- grafting – Category 1
- Breast prosthesis – removal of (for reasons other than cosmetic) – Category 2
- Trigger finger/thumb release – Category 2
- Breast reconstruction (for reasons other than cosmetic) Category 3
- Breast reduction (for reasons other than cosmetic) Category 3
- Cleft lip and palate – repair of – Category 3
- Dupytrens contracture release – Category 3
- Lipoma – excision of +/-grafting – Category 3
- Lymphangioma – surgery for – Category 3
- Rhinoplasty (for reasons other than cosmetic) – Category 3
- Skin lesions, non-malignant – excision of – Category 3
- Scar revision (for reasons other than cosmetic) – Category 3
Urgent category 2 plastic surgery may also include procedures like removal of a breast implant for non-cosmetic reasons like a rupture
Our Coco Ruby Surgeons Operate in these Victorian Hospitals
- St Vincents Kew
- Ramsay Masada and Glenferrie Private
- Epworth Hawthorn
- St John of God Berwick
Each hospital administration is assessing the availability of their theatre lists for plastic surgery based on Health Department criteria, supplies and impact of COVID in their location.
A list of the most popular procedures performed at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery
ELECTIVE SURGERY WITHOUT MBS ITEM NUMBER (NOT Primary Reconstructive)
Medicare benefits are NOT payable for non-therapeutic cosmetic services.
- ALL – Purely Cosmetic Procedures (no MBS item number applies)
- ALL – Fat Transfer to Breast or Face and Liposuction
- ALL – Liposuction
- BODY – Cosmetic Abdominoplasty – where no Item number (e.g. post-pregnancy)
- BODY – Cosmetic Labioplasty – where no item number applies (e.g. < 8 cm)
- BREAST – Removal and Replacement of Implants – where no item number applies
- BREAST – Breast Augmentation – where it is just for aesthetic reasons (congenital deformation may have an MBS number)
- BREAST – Breast Augmentation and Mastopexy – Breast Augmentation with Implants
- BREAST – Cosmetic Breast lift Mastopexy – no item number applies
- BREAST – Removal of implants where no MBS item number applies
- BREAST – Removal and replacement of Implants for Size change only
- EYE – Upper or Lower Blepharoplasty – where no item number applies
- FACE – Cosmetic Facelift/Necklift
- NOSE – Cosmetic Rhinoplasty – where no item number applies
- NOSE – Cosmetic Septo-Rhinoplasty – where No item number applies
Plastic Surgery Procedures with an MBS Item Number
(ALL the MBS Criteria must apply – see MBS Website below)
Item Number with a Summary of Procedure (see specific qualification details below)
- BREAST 45060 Breast Asymmetry or Tubular breast surgery
- BREAST 45520 Breast Reduction Surgery Unilateral
- BREAST 45523 Breast Reduction Surgery Bilateral (where strict MBS criteria apply)
- BREAST 45548 Removal of Breast Implant
- BREAST 45551 Breast Implant Removal with capsule
- BREAST 45553 Remove and Replace implants due to complication
- BREAST 45554 Remove and replace implants due to complication
- BREAST 45558 Breast lift Mastopexy with an item number
- BODY 30171 Lipectomy – a wedge of skin removal – arm lift, thigh lift
- BODY 30172 Lipectomy – multiple wedges of skin removal after Weight loss (Tummy Tuck)
- BODY 30177 Lipectomy, Post Weight loss Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
- BODY 30179 Circumferential lipectomy (Belt lipectomy) for massive weight loss
- BODY 30403 Hernia Repair surgery
- EYE 42866 Entropion or ectropion – Eyelid tightening
- EYE 45617 Upper eyelid surgery for obstruction/vision issues
- EYE 45623 Eyelid Lift for obstruction/vision issues
- EYE 45624 Upper eyelid lift for obstruction/vision issues
- LABIA 35534 Labioplasty or Vulvoplasty (> 8cm)
- NOSE 41671 Septoplasty or Septum surgery
- NOSE 41672 Nasal septum reconstruction
- NOSE 45641 Rhinoplasty for airway congestion
- NOSE 45644 Rhinoplasty for an obstructed airway
(NOTE – there are many other item numbers – these are the most popular procedures at our clinic)
How to Find other MBS Item Numbers for other Surgery Procedures
For other surgeries such as Skin Surgery, Cancer Surgery, Hand Surgery, Breast Reconstruction.
Want More Information about MBS Item Numbers?
- Request more information – DOWNLOAD A GUIDE about the procedure or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Consultation with a Nurse
- Organise a phone call with Patient Coordinator (FREE) Click here.
- Attend our Regular Practice FREE Events and hear from our Team of Plastic Surgeons along with their top support team.
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure you want – call or contact us