IIf you have cosmetic plastic surgery, it’s important to remember that incision line scars take some time to fully settle. Even so, patients who know how to best manage their scars after surgery will likely have a better outcome. Especially where scars are longer, it’s important to manage scar healing carefully, like a Tummy Tuck Scar after Abdominoplasty surgery.
Tummy Tuck Surgery Guide
Read more about Tummy Tuck Surgery
Reducing your Abdominoplasty Scar after Tummy Tuck Surgery
To help reduce your scar after Tummy Tuck Surgery, your Surgeon takes special care to place the incision lines below the belt-line or pant-line (there are, however, some limitations). Strategic incision line placement helps your Tummy Tuck scar appear less visible in swimsuits, underwear or lingerie.
- It’s super-important that you care for your scar properly, however, especially for several months following surgery.
- Rest adequately – Don’t try to do too much too soon.
- Be sure you alert your Surgeon if you have any incision line concerns. For example, potential infection or disturbance to your sutures.
- If you develop an infection or if you disturb your sutures by lifting a child or exercising before you should you can compromise scar healing.
- Take advantage of the Abdominoplasty scar treatments your Coco Ruby Surgeon provides.
For ALL surgeries, including Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation surgery, you WILL have a scar.
What else impacts an Abdominoplasty scar after Tummy Tuck surgery (or all surgery scars, for that matter)?
- Your skin’s innate healing capacity.
- Incision line healing can vary significantly from patient to patient.
- Your overall skin health, laxity and skin age can impact your healing and your surgery scar formation.
- Your genetics and skin type.
- Where you are on the Fitzpatrick scale impacts your tendency towards pigmentation and can impact scar formation (scar colour and potentially how raised the scar becomes).
- A tendency towards keloid scarring.
- What you’re eating or drinking will impact your healing and therefore, your scar.
- Eat nutritiously and get plenty of fluid after surgery.
- Be sure you’re eating enough of the right things to facilitate healing.
- Both Pre-biotics and Pro-biotics may be helpful.
- Check what your Rapid Recovery package includes and be sure you follow your Surgeon’s instructions.
- The activities you perform after surgery – such as lifting, exercise, child care or household chores.
What you do, as well as, how well you follow your Plastic Surgeon’s instructions after your operation will impact your scars, particularly whether or not you get the best possible scar treatment results.
Know what to expect, and do ALL you can to help reduce the visibility of your scar. At Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery, we give our patients extra care and scar management treatments as part of their plastic surgery package.
Top Tips to minimise your Tummy Tuck Scar
Our Plastic Surgeons can give you a lot of great tips to reduce the visibility of your Abdominoplasty scar after Tummy Tuck surgery and other procedures.
Ask your Plastic Surgeon for details, but in general, Tummy Tuck Surgery Scar Reduction TIPS include:
- Staying out of the sun.
- Sun exposure to scar tissue will affect your scar.
- Scar tissue doesn’t have the same protection against the sun’s rays as normal tissue.
- Healite II treatments (included for our patients, which might be helpful to have before and after surgery).
- Researching the value of using silicone strips and trying that strategy. Note: these are not included with surgery but are worth exploring.
- Use the special skin oil(s) or skin products provided to you by your Surgeon in our Rapid Recovery pack.
Our Coco Ruby patients receive a Recovery pack to help after Surgery
Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery Packages include a selection of useful products and treatments that may help reduce your visible Abdominoplasty scar after Tummy Tuck surgery.
- The Coco Ruby unique Rapid Recovery pack contains products hand-selected to assist your healing processes over the first few weeks after your operation.
- Some of the items in our Package aid inner healing, whereas other products are to aid the skin and scar formation itself.
So, in addition to NOT overdoing it after surgery, for an Abdominoplasty scar after a Tummy Tuck you’ll likely want to take advantage of our in-house scar minimisation treatments.
- These are typically included with your surgery package.
- They are one of the many advantages of scheduling surgery with our Team’s top Plastic Surgeons in Melbourne.
- Check with your Surgeon and review your Quote for details.
Scar Treatments after Tummy Tuck Surgery
Scar Minimisation Treatments at Coco Ruby Melbourne
There are many components to successful scar reduction to help minimise your scars after Tummy Tuck Surgery.
1. Silicon Tapes and Gels
Our dermal clinicians like Strataderm and Stratamed gels. Silicon Tape products like mepiform may also be helpful for scar minimisation.
2. Healite II Light Therapy to encourage skin healing and skin rejuvenation
Healite II uses low-level light therapy (called LLLT) which may help photomodulate cellular function improving healing times and reducing pain, and promoting the rejuvenation of the skin. It’s even been used by some doctors right after plastic surgery procedures and is known to assist in healing wounds.
This amazing low-level light therapy treatment also has other handy uses. It can help treat acne and is sometimes used for sports injury management or during physiotherapy to treat muscular pain.
- Healite II session is typically included with your Tummy Tuck Surgery.
- Click for more on Healite II skin treatments or low-level light therapy available at Coco Ruby.
3. Dermapen Skin Needling is useful for some Scar Treatments
You might receive Dermapen Collagen Induction Treatment (CIT) – also known as skin needling – to help your scar heal or to help the scar become less visible.
4. VLaser or Fraxel Laser Therapy may be helpful for some Abdominoplasty Scar Treatment.
Fraxel Laser Therapy is sometimes used as a scar minimisation treatment, either as a stand-alone treatment or combined with other treatments. If you are asked to undertake Fraxel laser treatments to minimise your scar after Tummy Tuck surgery, you are likely to need several treatments spread apart by several weeks.
Further Reading about Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty
- Find out more about: