Wobbly, sagging skin on your neck – is it making you look aged? Do you need neck surgery, neck liposuction or a combination of both?
Having an indistinguishable jawline due to wobbly ‘turkey neck’ skin is one of the most commonly heard complaints about getting older – or having undergone significant weight changes.
Fortunately, neck surgery procedures and/or double chin injections can help reduce bulky necklines and/or pesky, wobbly skin beneath your chin and jawline.
- If you can’t clearly see your jawline and chin definition due to abundant tissues or skin folds around the neck, ask us how we can help.
- Our Plastic Surgeons are experts at facial rejuvenation including neck surgery, double chin treatments and facial skin tightening surgery (facelift, eyelid surgery and more).
Read more about why necks age and what can be done to help and download the eBook guide to facial rejuvenation Plastic Surgery and injecting procedures.
Ageing of the neck area
How old are people when their neck skin begins to sag or wobble, resembling a turkey neck?
- Neck skin, like facial jowl skin and eyelids, can begin to show signs of ageing as early as the 30s and 40s.
- By 50, most people have laxity around their jawline, chin or neck.
- By 60, the sagging skin around the neck or jawline is usually more pronounced, and by 70 it’s one of the key features of an ageing face.
Everyone ages differently, of course. But neck lift and neck liposuction surgery is popular in people over the age of 40, although some men and women may want them – or need them – earlier, especially if they’ve been through serious weight fluctuations over time and are left with sagging skin.
- The majority of patients for neck surgery are around 45 to 70 years of age
- Most patients wait until the problem with sagging skin requires a more intensive corrective surgery procedure, meaning surgery time and recovery takes longer
- But you can schedule surgery earlier in life, and younger, healthier patients often heal it more quickly OR require less complex or less intensive corrective procedures if performed before the neck skin loses most of its firmness and tone
- Skin laxity may also require a combined non-surgical with surgery approach including fat transfer or platysma band surgery with advanced neck skin treatments
Why does neck skin droop so quickly?
The poorly defined jawline – is it your neck?
The skin of the neck is particularly delicate and, like the skin around your eyes, is quite vulnerable to the effects of ageing.
- Your neck is the most visible area, so it can be troubling when skin laxity causes deep folds and creases
- Neck cording is also seen in some people
- Called ‘platysmal bands’, these ‘cords’ stretch from the jaw and chin all the way down to the bottom of the neck, and they can look overly pronounced over time or with weight loss
- In addition, everyone dreads the turkey wattle neck, which results from fatty excess tissues and lax skin causing an unattractive, indistinguishable or poorly defined jawline.
Neck lift surgery can be transformative and can be extremely rejuvenating.
Good candidates for neck liposuction and skin reduction surgery consultations are usually individuals:
- who are in generally good health
- have sun or wind damaged skin
- have undesirable fat under their chins
- dislike their ‘turkey wattle neck’ appearance
- have jowls that sway a bit when they walk or talk
- want to reduce sagging, excess neck skin
- have genetics leading to bulky neck appearances or excess fat around their necklines
In a Neck Lift Consultation with your Specialist Plastic Surgeon, you’ll be given various options and advice on which procedure would give you the best result.
Surgery Results & Longevity of the Procedure
Many people are interested in the longevity of a neck lift. Typically, this can vary between 5 to 10 years depending on your skin type and the care you take of your skin, including minimising your exposure to the sun and keeping your weight stable.
The longevity of results can also vary based on the expertise and experience of the Surgeon, and the technique used – not all neck lifts are equal, but you can relax when you choose one of our top Specialist Plastic Surgeons as they have decades of expertise at facial and neck rejuvenating procedures.
So if you are concerned by:
- having a double (or triple) chin?
- Not being able to clearly see where your chin ends and your neck starts?
- Sagging tissues under what was once your beautiful jawline?
Perhaps a Neck Lift procedure is the solution you’ve been waiting for to help tighten and lift the neck and help you rediscover your jawline. Whilst a neck lift has a very rejuvenating effect on facial appearance,
Some patients may find that a mini facelift or a full facelift combined with a neck lift gets a better result. But for many patients, a neck lift on its own might be enough.
Our leading Specialist Plastic, Reconstructive & Cosmetic Surgeons will help you assess what is needed to get the results you’re looking for.
Read more about the Risks of Neck Lift Surgery, here.
Visit our Downloadable Guides pages
For more information about Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery options and research in Australia.