How much is a Labiaplasty Surgery in Melbourne, Australia?
Labiaplasty is a common surgical procedure done to alter the size/shape of labia minora/vaginal lips. A lot of women undergo this procedure due to aesthetic or functional reasons; naturally large or uneven labia, to restore the labia post-childbirth or preventing irritation and discomfort due to enlarged labia. This blog discusses in detail the Labiaplasty Surgery Prices in Melbourne and Australia.
Download the Labiaplasty Surgery Guide
Learn more about Labiaplasty
Different Types of Labiaplasty Surgery
Labiaplasty is typically categorised into three main types based on the technique used. Trim or Wedge Labiaplasty or De-epithelialisation Labiaplasty. Some Labiaplasty Surgeons use combined methods to get the best labiaplasty result.
Labiaplasty Surgery Cost and Prices in Melbourne, Australia
The range of Labiaplasty surgery prices in Melbourne can vary from $4,000 – $12,000 – so why the difference?
Cost is one of the determining factors when it comes to any kind of cosmetic surgery. The overall price of labiaplasty varies depending on skills and expertise of the individual surgeon, their labiaplasty technique, hospital/theatre chosen and other factors such as type of anaesthetic used. Please don’t just choose a cheap Labiaplasty because it’s affordable! The time to get surgery right is the first time and some things can be fixed.
Please bear in mind that it is just a rough estimate as the total cost depends on many factors. Some of the major price factors are the complexity of the procedure, experience and expertise of the surgeon (or doctor), type of anaesthetic used (local or general), hospital fees or day theatre fees, location, and facility quality. In order to get an exact answer, we recommend talking to our team and booking a consultation with a surgeon.
What’s Included in Your Labiaplasty Surgery Fee?
The first thing will be your surgeon fee. This fee depends on the expertise and experience of the surgeon. It is crucial to ensure that your surgeon has the appropriate qualifications and accreditations to perform labiaplasty.
Some surgeons will perform this in clinic under a local anaesthetic while others choose to do it in hospital under a general anaesthetic. Make sure that you feel completely comfortable with your surgeon and their facilities/hospital.
Any surgical procedure requires some form of anaesthetic. Your anaesthetic can be a local anaesthetic that the surgeon can administer in their clinic. However, general anaesthetic or local anaesthetic with sedation needs to be administered by a member of the Australian Society of Anaesthetists (ASA). Contrary to popular belief, anesthetists do not follow a standard set of fees, so it is difficult to predict their share from the overall cost. On average, they charge around $600-$800 per hour.
Assistant (if required)
The surgery involves other people, not just your surgeon, it also involves staff such as nurses and an assistant. The assistant fee is usually calculated per hour as well, this may be included on your quote. An Assistant can help reduce overall time spent in theatre.
Hospital Fee / Theatre Fee
The hospitals charge per hour for theatre charges. There is also a bed fee.
Depending on the technique your surgeon chooses for your specific case a Labiaplasty can be complete in one to two hours. Typically, it is a day operation, and patients are able to go home on the same day.
Post-surgery; you will require some medication, dressings and possible topical treatment to take care of the wound, pain levels and to keep infections at bay. The price of these medications may be included in the overall cost of labiaplasty or may be billed separately. Your surgeon will advise you.
Post-operative appointments will be arranged for you to ensure everything is functioning as usual and healing the way it should. The amount of post-op care required is based on the complexity of your labiaplasty surgery.
This price is generally included in the overall quote given to you for the procedure.
Why Do Surgery Prices Vary?
The prices of labiaplasty surgery will vary based on the following:
Who performs the surgery?
- The experience and expertise of your doctor or surgeon will be one of the determining factors of how much will you have to pay.
- Of course, someone with ten years of Labiaplasty experience will cost you more than someone with two years of experience.
What type of Labiaplasty surgery is being performed?
- The complication of the procedure and the extent of cosmetic changes required also play a huge role in determining the overall cost of the procedure.
- For some patients, only a minor change is enough, while in others, major changes are required to achieve their aesthetic goals and will cost more.
Where is the surgery performed?
- A well-accredited facility that is filled with all the right facilities is where you want to go.
- Make sure your surgeon uses a facility that is accredited and equipped with what’s required.
Why is the surgery being performed?
- Whether you are getting labiaplasty done for cosmetic or medical reasons also impacts the cost of the procedure.
- It will also determine how much help you can get from insurance and Medicare.
- Not all cases are claimable.
- The surgeon will advise you if you meet the criteria after they have consulted with you.
Prices Range For Labiaplasty Surgery in Australia
Let’s discuss price ranges for labiaplasty:
- Low Range – from $4,000 – in rooms straight forward procedure, local anaesthetic, less experienced doctor
- Medium-Range – from $7,500 – in hospital, general anaesthetic or local with sedation, a junior surgeon
- High range – from $10,000 – in hospital, general anaesthetic, more complex procedure, best labiaplasty surgeon
How to Choosing the Best Labiaplasty Surgeon
Your surgery is only as good as your surgeon! You have decided to get labiaplasty done may be confused on how to select the right plastic surgeon – you need to do your research.
1. Always Do Your Research before Making the Final Call
By reading this article, you are already familiarising yourself with different aspects of surgery. That means you are on the right path. It is good to take some time out of your day and research different surgeons in your area. Visit the websites, look at their credentials, read reviews given by different people, have a closer look at before and after labiaplasty pictures. This is the first and most important step is choosing the right surgeon.
2. Surgeon Credentials and Experience are Important
Once you have spent sufficient time on the internet researching different surgeons, it’s time to narrow down the choice. Make a list based on the credentials and years of experience a particular labiaplasty surgeon has. You need to ensure they are a member of ASPS. While analysing their experience, ensure that labiaplasty is one of the procedures they perform the most. Someone could have easily performed 100 plastic surgery procedures when only two of them could have been labiaplasty surgeries. You want to ensure they have done many labiaplasty and be confident in them to operate on you.
3. Read Genuine Online Reviews from Patients
When you visit a surgeon’s website, you can find plenty of patient reviews on their site. You can also join social media groups and plastic surgery forums that allow people to share their authentic experiences and actual stories and which surgeon they saw. This will give you a clear idea of how happy you will be.
4. Look at Before and After Labiaplasty Photographs
Never finalise choosing a surgeon before looking at the before and after photographs of their previous surgeries. For many surgeons, you can find the pictures on their websites. For those who don’t share the Labiaplasty before and after images publically, you can always ask for them during the consultation.
This procedure is a sensitive image to have online so most will have images in the practice to show you during your consultation. It will give you a clear understanding and expectation of how things can look before and after surgery.
5. Book 2 Plastic Surgeon Consultations – Avoid seeing a “Cosmetic Surgeon”
We personally recommend booking consultations with at least two surgeons. Voice your concerns and surgery goals. They will provide you with a quote based on your consultation. After you have carefully selected the surgeons for consultation, trust your gut before you trust anything else. Some people feel more comfortable with one surgeon rather than the other despite the two of them having similar experience and qualifications.
Making the Right Decision for Your Health and Wellbeing
While you are in the process of selecting a surgeon, it is very tempting to opt for the cheapest option or see what’s available overseas. While cost is certainly a determining factor, it isn’t more important than your health and wellbeing. A lot of new clinics and surgeons overseas offer labiaplasty at an attractive price, but it often comes at a risk to your health and wellbeing. Some of the major risks of getting a cheap surgery overseas include:
- Australian doctors have to follow strict medical standards. This is not the case for a lot of foreign countries. This means they may not be as qualified and you won’t have the same assurance of safety while undergoing the surgery.
- Medical emergencies can occur during any cosmetic surgery. In Australia, your insurance will cover the cost of any unlikely medical emergency. It probably won’t be the case if you are getting the surgery done overseas.
- You need the time to heal post-surgery. Firstly, it is not wise to travel immediately post-surgery or start exercising straight away. You need to follow your surgeons’ instructions to ensure the best outcome.
MEDICARE AND PRIVATE HEALTH FUNDS
Will Medicare cover your labiaplasty surgery?
- No Medicare does not cover non-therapeutic cosmetic surgery and non-therapeutic plastic surgery procedures. If labiaplasty is deemed as a medical necessity, Medicare may offer a rebate but there are strict criteria to meet for this to happen. Find out more about the very strict Medicare criteria for Labiaplasty.
Are you INSURED or UNINSURED?
- Health Insurance may cover your hospital charges if you meet the criteria set by Medicare. If the procedure is purely cosmetic or you don’t meet the criteria the procedure is completely out of pocket with no rebate or cover.
OTHER WAYS TO FUND YOUR SURGERY
Will your super fund help?
- Patients are able to access their Super for some medical procedures but each fund has their own rules and requirements – you will need to speak to your fund to clarify.
Do you need a Payment Plan?
- This is one question you have to answer for yourself. Check your financial situation. Discuss what Labiaplasty payment plan is available and then proceed with what works for you.