Hybrid Breast Augmentation – Combining Implants and Fat Grafting for Better Contour and Cleavage
Hybrid breast augmentation is adding fat grafting to Breast Augmentation (Breast Implants) in order to get better results in the upper pole and cleavage.
What is hybrid breast augmentation?
Hybrid breast augmentation, also known as composite breast augmentation, is a surgical procedure that relies on the use of fat to amplify the results of breast implants. In other words, it combines implants with fat transfer. The procedure allows your surgeon to customise your breast augmentation even more than before. Almost all women have slightly different sized and shaped breasts. Thanks to a combination of fat and an implant, it’s possible to introduce more symmetry to breasts’ size and shape.
Am I a good candidate for hybrid breast augmentation?
You’re a good candidate for breast augmentation and fat grafting if you;
- Have asymmetrical breasts
- You want to enhance the upper pole without bigger implants.
- Or, you are unsatisfied with the size of your breasts and want to get a boob job that will yield more natural results.
To be eligible for this procedure you need to be fit and healthy. You also need to have adequate fat stores to harvest. You shouldn’t be a smoker (or be willing to quit smoking a few weeks before the procedure). Smoking stalls healing which isn’t that practical if we bear in mind the goal is to achieve a relatively speedy recovery.
What are the benefits of hybrid breast augmentation?
Advantages of hybrid breast augmentation include:
- Breasts appear more symmetrical
- Confidence boost
- Improved body contour at the site of liposuction
- Improved soft tissue coverage of the breast implant
- More natural look and feel
- More proportionate body frame
What to expect during hybrid breast augmentation
As the name suggests, hybrid breast augmentation is a two-part surgery that includes taking fat from one part of your body and transferring it to the breast area where the implant is also inserted. Before the surgery, the surgeon marks the area of the body from which fat is to be taken, i.e., donor site (usually abdomen or thighs). Areas on the chest and breast that will receive the fat are also marked.
A general anaesthetic is used for this procedure. Implants are then inserted and the fat is filtered and washed in a closed system to reduce the risk of infection. The fat is then injected back into the body around the implants. The procedure typically lasts approximately two hours.
Recovery after hybrid breast augmentation
After the surgery, a support surgical bra is required. Drains are sometimes used. However, this is determined by the surgeon on a patient by patient bases. Sutures are generally absorbable and placed under the skin. In cases when sutures aren’t absorbable, the surgeon will remove them at a follow-up appointment.
Pain and swelling are normal after the procedure so you may need to take pain relief to maximise comfort. To minimize swelling and promote healing of the donor site after liposuction, you will need to wear a compression garment as well. You can expect the pain to subside over the coming days, but swelling and soreness may persist for a few weeks.
Strenuous physical activities, heavy lifting, exercise, and lifting arms above your head should all be avoided until advised by the surgeon. It’s also recommended to avoid direct sunlight in the first year after the procedure to minimize the risk of hyperpigmentation of the scars.
Results are visible immediately, but it will take a few weeks to see the final outcome and for swelling to subside.
Get the Ultimate Guide to Breast Surgery? Download it now.
Learn more about Breast Surgery
Download Our Fat Transfer to Breast Guide
Hybrid Breast Augmentation FAQs
Which is better? Breast implants, fat transfer or both?
- Everyone will get a different suggestion for surgery as not everything will suit everyone. We will determine which is best for you at your consult. For instance, if you are thin and have no body fat then fat transfer won’t work because there’s no fat to use so in that scenario we would recommend implants.
Which type of breast implants feels the most natural?
- Silicone breast implants tend to feel more like natural breast tissue.
Can belly fat be used for fat transfer?
- Yes, it’s possible to obtain fat from the abdominal area and thighs.
What is the difference between breast augmentation and implants?
- Although these terms are used interchangeably, they are different. Breast augmentation is just a term for a category of procedures whose main objective is to make breasts bigger. On the other hand, breast implants are prosthetic medical devices the surgeons use to place in breasts to support the process of augmentation.
Is there a naturally made breast implant?
- Natural breast implants don’t exist per se, but natural breast augmentation refers to fat transfer to the breasts.
What are the risks of fat transfer?
- Risks of fat transfer breast augmentation include infection, cysts, microcalcification, necrosis of fat and the risk of transferred fat cells leaving the breast area.
Does fat transfer really work?
- Yes, it does. If the fat heals well, the breasts look and feel normal. However, your body can sometimes reabsorb the fat. Your surgeon will go over this and what it means during your consult.
What are the alternatives to breast implants?
- Fat transfer as a sole procedure can be done instead of implants but the outcome of this doesn’t benefit all patients.
How long do the results of hybrid breast augmentation last?
- Breast implants don’t expire per se, but they don’t last a lifetime. The average silicone implant lasts for 10 to 20 years.
Planning your hybrid breast augmentation patient journey
The first step is to schedule a consultation with one of our surgeons. During the appointment, you can express your goals as well as your desired outcome. It is also an opportunity for you to express concerns, ask questions, and learn as much as possible about the procedure. You can expect the surgeon to evaluate your breasts, recommend hybrid breast augmentation or another suitable approach, and ask questions regarding your general health.
Why choose a Coco Ruby Surgeon?
We have a great team of surgeons who specialise in different things allowing us to treat a variety of patients. The choice of a surgeon has a major impact on the results you want to achieve. All of our surgeons have had extensive training and experience allowing them to provide proper care to each patient.
The cornerstone of our work is thorough surgical planning in conjunction with attention to detail to ensure the successful completion of the procedure. Our down-to-earth approach helps you feel confident in the procedure and your decision which minimizes stress and nervousness.
Risks and complications of hybrid breast augmentation
Potential risks and complications of hybrid breast augmentation are similar to side effects that may occur with traditional breast enhancement surgery. They include:
- Pain in breast and/or nipple area
- Capsular contracture
- Changes in breast and nipple sensation
- Implant leakage and rupture; with or without symptoms
- The need for additional surgeries due to complications or unsatisfying results
- As well as, a slight difference in breasts
Hybrid breast augmentation is a generally safe procedure that gives patients the results they desire. The choice of a surgeon is the most important factor to reduce the likelihood of risks and complications of surgery.
- Fat grafting and breast augmentation: A systematic review of primary composite augmentation – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: Global Open
- Hybrid breast augmentation: A reliable formula for preoperative assessment of fat graft volume based on implant volume and projection – Aesthetic Surgery Journal
- Breast augmentation guide – American Board of Cosmetic Surgery
Hybrid breast augmentation can be performed in combination with other procedures such as liposuction or abdominoplasty.
Why have a hybrid breast augmentation?
Women generally opt for hybrid breast augmentation due to the following reasons:
- Currently having implants with noticeable implant rippling or palpable implant edges.
- Desire to augment breasts with fatty tissue but not having enough excess fatty tissue to achieve the desired breast size
- Desire to undergo natural breast augmentation with improved cleavage
- Dissatisfaction with the size of the breasts
- Feeling like breasts are too small in proportion with the body.
- Wanting breast augmentation along with liposuction to improve body contour
Hybrid breast augmentation – is it worth it?
- For women who want to have bigger breasts and a more natural look and feel, hybrid breast augmentation is worth it. Bear in mind the decision to undergo this or any other procedure depends entirely on you and your preferences.
Age (how old – how young?)
- Patients need to be over 18 years of age to have this type of surgery.
There are no non-surgical ways to increase the size of your breasts. The only truly effective way to get bigger breasts is through surgery. Non-surgical alternatives may seem appealing, but their effectiveness and safety are dubious and costly for a not great outcome.
Learn more about Breast Surgery