8 Tips for Choosing the Best Plastic Surgeon
- Are you currently looking for Cosmetic or Plastic Surgery?
- Do you know the difference between a plastic surgeon and a cosmetic doctor?
- How can you research your chosen Surgeon and know you’re making a good choice?
Well, by doing your homework beforehand, you’ll increase the likelihood of getting the best possible surgical experience, with the best plastic surgeon. You will need to consider was is important for you.
We highly advise you don’t ‘price shop’ or go overseas for something as important, long-lasting and visible as your cosmetic plastic surgery. Find out how to take steps to avoid a botched surgery disaster and do your research.
Here are 8 tips to help you find the right Plastic Surgeon for you
1. Find the right surgeon
- In selecting your surgeon, your first challenge is to develop a list of candidates.
- Not all medical practitioners performing cosmetic surgery are plastic surgeons or even practitioners with formal surgery qualifications.
- So where do you start?
2. Ask your friends what Plastic Surgeon they recommend for cosmetic surgery procedures
- At Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery, many of our patients have been referred to us via ‘word of mouth’ from our satisfied patients.
- We often see our patients for continuing treatment and further procedures which is a testament to our standards of care and our visible results.
- Even so, it’s helpful to read reviews online once you’ve got a name from a friend.
3. Ask your local GPs or reputable Private Hospitals who they recommend (but still do your homework)
- GP’s and Hospitals can refer you to a specialist or certified plastic surgeon for your procedure.
- Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery receives hundreds of referrals from GP’s every year who believe we can provide their patients with an excellent service.
4. Contact the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- The ASPS can give you advice and provide you with a list of members who are accredited.
- All ASPS members are fully qualified in both reconstructive and cosmetic surgery with a record of accomplishment in this field and a commitment to ethical standards.
- Most Surgeons at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery are members of ASPS and receives many referrals each year.
5. Look for Articles in the Media
- Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery and our Specialist Plastic Surgeons feature regularly in print and broadcast media.
- This is an indication of our level of experience and the acknowledgement of our expertise. You may have seen our surgeons in the Team Claire, Vogue, 60 Minutes, Body & Soul, and online publications like Mamamia.
- Articles that will help you recognise the difference.
6. Check Your Surgeon’s Credentials before agreeing to surgery
- Before making any decision, you must check a surgeon’s qualifications, experience and credentials.
- Credentials can’t guarantee a positive outcome but they may significantly reduce your risk if you’re choosing between a non-credentialed, less experienced surgeon and a bonafide Plastic Surgeon.
- At Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery, our team of plastic surgeons training and accreditation tend to exceed all national benchmarks for training and expertise.
- Our Surgeon also commits to continued education, and you regularly see them attend globally renowned Plastic Surgery Conferences in Australia and across the globe.
- You are in safe hands – we look after sterilisation, safety and comfort as you move through your procedure (but be sure you do YOUR role, too, as what you do DOES matter in terms of getting a good result).
- Be honest, too, with your chosen Surgeon.
7. Arrange an Initial Consultation to receive personalised information about what’s possible for you
- In your consultation, you need to be reassured, your questions need to be appropriately answered and your decision should be easily made whether it is to go ahead with the treatment or not.
- There’s never any pressure and no obligation to proceed with surgery after attending a consultation.
- There even a cooling-off period and mandatory waiting time (sorry, no rushing into surgery as impulsive surgery decisions can be made for the wrong reasons).
- At your consultation, you should ask all the questions necessary and your surgeon should answer all the questions you need. Most importantly, your surgeon should not rush you into a decision. At Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery, we believe information and education are the cornerstones to any decision made about your body.
8. Make an informed decision after researching your procedure and reading through Plastic Surgery Guides
- Now you have all the information you need you once you understand the differences, you should be able to make an informed decision on choosing a Plastic Surgeon.
- These guides will contain important information you should be aware of before booking in for cosmetic surgery.
- To know the difference between a fully qualified Plastic, Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgeon vs a ‘Cosmetic Surgeon’ take note of your surgeons credentials.