General Anaesthetic during Breast Augmentation
How long will I be under anaesthesia during breast enlargement surgery?
- A primary breast augmentation procedure itself generally lasts approximately 2 hours
- This is an average time frame for primary breast surgery (1.5 to 3 hours is the average range)
- Revision breast surgery, such as removal or replacement of implants, tends to require longer surgery time than a primary augmentation surgery
- But surgery times will depend on what you need
- A breast lift combined with implants, or a remove and replace breast implant procedure, involves a longer theatre time (2 to 3 hours being average, up to approximately 4 hours)
- Conditions such as tuberous breasts or asymmetric breasts may require longer periods of time
You will be under the care of a seasoned Anaesthetist the entire time you’re under general anaesthesia.
Time under general anaesthetic for breast augmentation will vary from patient to patient. However, most patients are under anaesthesia for under 3 hours, and often under 2 hours.
- Local anaesthetic (chest area numbing) and general anaesthetic are both used
- This helps increase patient comfort during and just after surgery
- Longer times under general anaesthesia may be needed for some breast augmentation or revision surgeries such as:
Will I need to stay in hospital overnight after Breast Surgery?
- An overnight stay in Hospital may be required for Breast Augmentation Surgery procedures, so patients can be properly monitored and receive the best quality care.
- Your chosen Surgeon will be able to advise you further about the length of your hospital stay and your post-surgery care requirements.
Phone us today on 0388491444 to speak to a Patient Care Coordinator.
TIP: Surgery advice is individualised. Your chosen Plastic Surgeon will be able give you personalised advice on when you can return to work and other daily activities.