General Anaesthetic during Breast Augmentation
How long will I be under anaesthesia during breast enlargement surgery?
- A primary breast augmentation procedure itself generally lasts approximately 2 hours
- This is an average time frame for primary breast surgery (1.5 to 3 hours is the average range)
- Revision breast surgery, such as removal or replacement of implants, tends to require longer surgery time than a primary augmentation surgery
- But surgery times will depend on what you need
- A breast lift combined with implants, or a remove and replace breast implant procedure, involves a longer theatre time (2 to 3 hours being average, up to approximately 4 hours)
- Conditions such as tuberous breasts or asymmetric breasts may require longer periods of time
You will be under the care of a seasoned Anaesthetist the entire time you’re under general anaesthesia.
Get the Breast Augmentation Surgery guide!
Learn more about Breast Augmentation
Time under general anaesthetic for breast augmentation will vary from patient to patient. However, most patients are under anaesthesia for under 3 hours, and often under 2 hours.
- Local anaesthetic (chest area numbing) and general anaesthetic are both used
- This helps increase patient comfort during and just after surgery
- Longer times under general anaesthesia may be needed for some breast augmentation or revision surgeries such as:
Will I need to stay in hospital overnight after Breast Surgery?
- An overnight stay in Hospital may be required for Breast Augmentation Surgery procedures, so patients can be properly monitored and receive the best quality care.
- Your chosen Surgeon will be able to advise you further about the length of your hospital stay and your post-surgery care requirements.
Phone us today on 1300 264 811 to speak to a Patient Care Coordinator.
TIP: Surgery advice is individualised. Your chosen Plastic Surgeon will be able to give you personalised advice on when you can return to work and other daily activities.